Post a Picture of Your Favorite Plant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendigoblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This thread is so that you can look around at everyone's favorite plant, to help you design your aquascape!

This is how it works:

You post a picture of your favorite aquatic plant (has to be in your tank/possession at the time), it's name (and if you can, it's scientific name), a little description about it and why you love it! Good luck everyone!

-------------------------

DSCN1211.jpgDSCN1214.jpg ID as aponogeton natans.
It can grow in very little light, which is why I love it so much! I have it in a uninhabited 2.5 gallon with the occasional dose of ferts. It grows very, very fast and has around three flowers at a time. I haven't tried to propagate it from the flowers, but I probably should try. The leaves float at the surface as you can see and the flowers normally grow above the surface, but sometimes the flowers will dip into the water.

Stephiiee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's so cool! Do plants take a lot of work? I'm thinking of getting some real plants in my tank. I've been doing a bit of research on them, but I just want to start with something that's hardy..just curious what people recommend.

Sent from my XT1064 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

BettasAndAnOscar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Waterlily

Don't know the scientific name, but my waterlily was added to the tank as a bulb in early January, and got huge! I even gave half of it away! Great plant for bettas to rest onImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1433802356.257551.jpg

6 bettas, 1 Oscar, 1 marble peacock cichlid, various live bearers, shrimp and snails

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My favorite plant is my Large Java Fern, I love how big and bushy it is, how hardy it is, and of course my fish love weaving in its dense leaves, it is over 16 inches tall and 12 inches long (but it curls perfectly around the driftwood cave I found at my lagoon

008-1.jpg

OP
Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's so cool! Do plants take a lot of work? I'm thinking of getting some real plants in my tank. I've been doing a bit of research on them, but I just want to start with something that's hardy..just curious what people recommend.

Watch the thread to see the other plants people like! I haven't had many problems with most plants. Crypts are my problem plants. I do have quite a few, but they tend to melt if there is a sudden change of environment.

Anubias, java fern, mosses, aponogetons (Madagascar lace plant and my aponogeton natans are some examples of aponogetons), sword plants (I own a rose sword and an unidentified sword plant, never had a problem with them in any environment) and most low light plants are extremely hardy plants. High light plants normally require Co2 and aren't the best for most that don't plan on having a hight tech tank. Good luck!

Stephiiee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love the first picture BTW..its a beautiful picture. Is that all one plant?
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to do a little research. I'll be sure to update!

OP
Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love the first picture BTW..its a beautiful picture. Is that all one plant?
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to do a little research. I'll be sure to update!

All the pictures look to me like one plant, except maybe the java fern.

That java fern is huge @nicole4434!

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All the pictures look to me like one plant, except maybe the java fern.

That java fern is huge @nicole4434!
Yes that java fern is huge, and I wish I new how to separate it but its all attached to this really thick stem (its as thick as a wooden spoon handle, though I am able to harvest and small shoots that come off of it I haven't been able to separate the main plants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom