Post 3 Day Blackout Advice Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Esimm03, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Esimm03

Esimm03Well Known MemberMember

Hi,
    So I've been struggling with a bad case of dinoflagellates in my reef since I forgot about changing my RO unit's filters out for about 6 months, I decided earlier this week to just unplug the lights and cover the tank up with bin bags, just a few mins ago I opened it up and everything seems ok! The Dinos are gone however I'm still left with this green algae (I presume water changes and time will eradicate that?) My main question is that there are white sand like particals on some of the algae strands, any ideas what these are?, They aren't sand or air as I blew at them with a pipette and they remained in place. Also, should I do a water change now? Or follow my regular schedule and do one on Friday? My main reason for asking is because the Dinos may have released stuff when they died? I'll do a water test a little later and post up on here.

Thanks,
    Ethan

P.s, I'll try and get a picture of the white specs I was taking about

2. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Dinos are usually when your tank is devoid of nutrients. The green algae is hair algae I assume?

3. Wild Bill

Wild BillWell Known MemberMember

Before your water change, use a toothbrush and scrub your rock real good. Do the WC now.