Possibly Velvet?

PrincessBettafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I've seen my betta, Opal, rubbing on plants and the thermometer, but I can't seem to catch her doing it up close because she gets distracted by me when I get too close. I tried shining a light on her to see if she might have velvet, but she has a natural gold iridescence, so I'm not sure. She's still eating and her activity levels haven't changed. I might be overly paranoid, but I know velvet can kill quickly if left unchecked.

Would it be stupid to treat her as a preventive measure? I have methylene blue on hand, and I also have some stuff called Copper Power Green. I can't seem to find too much info on it, but I picked it up from a LFS just trying to fill my fishy pharmacy. The few reviews I've found about it are good, but I'm hesitant to subject Opal to any unnecessary copper treatments.

I'll update with her parameters when I get home, but she does get 25-50% water changes every other day with Prime and Stressguard to treat her torn fins. Her tank is 10 gallons, heated (usually around 78 F), filtered, cycled, and I've had her for three months. No other tankmates, live plants include moss balls, java moss, java fern, and anubias.

Attachments

Seleya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
From the photo, the gold tones look like they are part of her coloring. Velvet tends to look almost dusty and kind of settle between the scales from what I have seen.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She has gold flecks but I can't tell if its her natural coloring.
As long as she’s acting normal and eating right, watch close and keep her water pristine and warm. If you don’t have snails, you could add a little aquarium salt predissolved in a cup of tank water to the aquarium. Do 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. At night. If she starts flashing more, you’ll definitely know there’s an external parasite. The salt will irritate/kill some of them. If there aren’t any parasites, she’ll just enjoy the feel. And it will act as a preventative. Keep us posted ok?

PrincessBettafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As long as she’s acting normal and eating right, watch close and keep her water pristine and warm. If you don’t have snails, you could add a little aquarium salt predissolved in a cup of tank water to the aquarium. Do 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. At night. If she starts flashing more, you’ll definitely know there’s an external parasite. The salt will irritate/kill some of them. If there aren’t any parasites, she’ll just enjoy the feel. And it will act as a preventative. Keep us posted ok?
Thank you! The salt won't affect my live plants, will it? Or should I take those out and maybe temporarily quarantine those in another tank?

Bmh4796

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I've seen my betta, Opal, rubbing on plants and the thermometer, but I can't seem to catch her doing it up close because she gets distracted by me when I get too close. I tried shining a light on her to see if she might have velvet, but she has a natural gold iridescence, so I'm not sure. She's still eating and her activity levels haven't changed. I might be overly paranoid, but I know velvet can kill quickly if left unchecked.

Would it be stupid to treat her as a preventive measure? I have methylene blue on hand, and I also have some stuff called Copper Power Green. I can't seem to find too much info on it, but I picked it up from a LFS just trying to fill my fishy pharmacy. The few reviews I've found about it are good, but I'm hesitant to subject Opal to any unnecessary copper treatments.

I'll update with her parameters when I get home, but she does get 25-50% water changes every other day with Prime and Stressguard to treat her torn fins. Her tank is 10 gallons, heated (usually around 78 F), filtered, cycled, and I've had her for three months. No other tankmates, live plants include moss balls, java moss, java fern, and anubias.
I have never seen velvet. Just wanted to say he’s a really pretty betta
Hope all ends up well

PrincessBettafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm pulling this back up because she's still trying to rub on gravel and the thermometer but there's no other symptoms. I dosed her tank with the salt for a week but haven't added any more in the last two water changes. I did move a few things around in her tank because I felt she was ripping her fins on some driftwood. Could she be trying to rub on items because she's stressed about stuff being moved?

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
She doesn't look like she has velvet. It looks more flakey and your pictures show her gold colouring evenly distributed. Bettas with velvet also tend to have clamped fins. I think it's something else.

Edit: Also if you're so worried you can treat using Paraguard because it doesn't really hurt plants and can be dosed as a precaution even if the fish isn't sick. Also since she's rubbing against things and we don't know what it is, Paraguard should fix it.

PrincessBettafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She doesn't look like she has velvet. It looks more flakey and your pictures show her gold colouring evenly distributed. Bettas with velvet also tend to have clamped fins. I think it's something else.

Edit: Also if you're so worried you can treat using Paraguard because it doesn't really hurt plants and can be dosed as a precaution even if the fish isn't sick. Also since she's rubbing against things and we don't know what it is, Paraguard should fix it.
Yeah at this point, I don't think it's velvet anymore, but the rubbing is odd. I'll hunt some Paraguard down tomorrow.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom