Not open for further replies.

mustangblue01

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Experience
Just started
About 2 weeks ago I noticed my barbs glancing off of decorations in my tank along with some fin damage and what appeared to be some excess slimecoat. I treated them initially with a general "ich" treatment for about 4 days. The problem continued to get worse, so I treated the tank for fungus and parasites for 6 days. There is a huge improvement, but occasionally they barbs still glance. I have other fish in the tank that have not had any symptoms what-so-ever.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure what is left to treat them for or with.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Experience
3 years
Do you know of and understand the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle?
Yes
Aquarium Size
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
Betta, Water wysteria
Aquarium Start Date
June 2007
Lighting
Two incandescent
Aquarium #2 Size
35g
Tank #2 Type
Brackish
Tank #2 Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
A single murderous platinum lyretail molly, an unknown number of cherry shrimp and Amano shrimp variant, Java moss, Java fern.
Tank #2 Start Date
August 2007
Tank #2 Ammonia
nada
Tank #2 Nitrite
nil
Tank #2 Nitrate
10-20
Tank #2 Temperature
Tank #2 pH
Tank #2 Lighting
Power compact and standard fluorescent
Tank #2 Filter Type
Tetra i-series, UGF run with powerhead
Tank #2 Salinity or SG
1.005-1.010
Aquarium #3 Size
90g
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Tank #3 Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
5 Glassfish, 3 Black Neons, 3 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Gold Barb, MTS horde, Star Moss, Bronze Crypts, Dwarf Onions, Hemianthus C.
Tank #3 Start Date
March 2008
Tank #3 Temperature
Are you seeing any little white spots on the fish? If so, try upping the temp to 82 degrees for a week or so. White spots (little raised dots, really) are usually ich, which can't breed at higher temps.
I would also suggest upping water changes and, if you're not already doing so, using a higher-quality water conditioner like Prime, Novaqua+ or Ultimate. Higher quality food (Omega One is my fish food of choice) and Vitachem can help, as well, strengthening the fish's immune systems, making them more likely to be able to fight off/survive infection/infestation.

OP
M

mustangblue01

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Experience
Just started
Are you seeing any little white spots on the fish? If so, try upping the temp to 82 degrees for a week or so. White spots (little raised dots, really) are usually ich, which can't breed at higher temps.
I would also suggest upping water changes and, if you're not already doing so, using a higher-quality water conditioner like Prime, Novaqua+ or Ultimate. Higher quality food (Omega One is my fish food of choice) and Vitachem can help, as well, strengthening the fish's immune systems, making them more likely to be able to fight off/survive infection/infestation.

I did see a few white spots on the tails of the females (the female Rosy Barbs are the fancy fin type). I see no evidence of these spots now. I generally change about 10-15% of the water in a weeks time. Some times I change all of it oin one day of the week and sometimes I change about half of that twice a week. Have been feeding them various foods which include: Tetra color granules, Tetramin crisps, some cheap flake food(not very often), and some frozen foods(about once or twice a week and I change up between bloodworms, brine, and veggy).

I have not used any water conditioners. All of my tank water is filtered through my home filter and I let it sit for a day or two to evaporate off chlorine, etc. Also, I add some marine salt to the water.

I thought about trying the Omega one; however, I have not been able to find it in sinking granules or crisps. I neither care for pellets nor flakes very much. My fish do not seem to eat the pellets at all, not even the bottom feeders. The flakes are good, but not all the time. On rare occasion, I will give them live blood worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom