Possibly sick Corydoras??

LoonyLudy

Hello, I got my first cories a few days ago and was wondering if someone with more experience could help me out. I have a 10 gallon tank which previously only had shrimp in it, but I wanted some fish so I adopted 2 cories last week. One of them has been doing fine and eating well but the other one has just set up camp behind a wooden log type thing I have set up and has hardly moved at all since then. I’m considering that they may be sick, and there’s also a bit of a mystery regarding the fact that I can’t find information on what specific type of Cory this is. They both have white spots down their backs which I thought was a pattern but I’m starting to worry that they may have ich or a similar disease. I’m still very inexperienced in this sort of thing and my friend suggested I post it here, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I don’t have very good photos, especially since my tank is pretty dark right now because the lights in the lid have been going out (I ordered a new light which should get here tomorrow, thankfully) so apologies for that. If you need a better photo I can try to get one.

Attachments

• 03474ED7-DA09-4382-A095-85A795A44D6F.jpeg
    03474ED7-DA09-4382-A095-85A795A44D6F.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DA94A9D2-C15D-4C1B-8262-62B23BEA6D66.jpeg
    DA94A9D2-C15D-4C1B-8262-62B23BEA6D66.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 13

Rye3434

One thing I can say is that they are definitely not corydoras

LoonyLudy

One thing I can say is that they are definitely not corydoras
Welp it would appear that you are right because as soon as I search for “catfish black with white spots” instead of “CORY catfish black with white spots” it shows me exactly my fish but I feel lied to because the store said they were cories. I guess I don’t have to worry about ich then but I’m still nervous about the one who won’t move? Thank you very much anyhow this is helpful

Rye3434

Ok i think i may have an ID

Spotted Raphael Catfish (Agamyxis pectinifrons)

Not sure on their behavior so can't comment on the not moving, but they will get too big for a ten (6 inches), if you can return them that would be best
Sorry they sold them to you as corys that sucks

SamMe

Is it possible he's claimed the log as his territory and is coming out at night to eat? Other than hiding, does he appear healthy?

LoonyLudy

Ok i think i may have an ID

Spotted Raphael Catfish (Agamyxis pectinifrons)

Not sure on their behavior so can't comment on the not moving, but they will get too big for a ten (6 inches), if you can return them that would be best
Sorry they sold them to you as corys that sucks
Yeah I’m going to have to rehome them or return them because besides the fact that they will get so big now I have to worry about them chowing down on my shrimp. Thanks so much again for the help I probably would have never known they weren’t cories otherwise lol

DoubleDutch

Simply return them to the shop.

LoonyLudy

Is it possible he's claimed the log as his territory and is coming out at night to eat? Other than hiding, does he appear healthy?
Yep, this turned out to be the issue. He seems fine in every other way and I’ve found out now that he’s just been sleeping all day since the power went out in my house and he started swimming around as soon as the lights went off. Thanks!

SamMe

Yep, this turned out to be the issue. He seems fine in every other way and I’ve found out now that he’s just been sleeping all day since the power went out in my house and he started swimming around as soon as the lights went off. Thanks!
Great! I'm sorry you didn't get the cories that you wanted, but if you have a larger tank you could put these guys in....they're pretty cool. ;)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DutchAquarium
Replies
Views
Fishymom64
  • PlantedCommunityTank132
  • Corydoras
Replies
Views
PlantedCommunityTank132