Possibly Sick Betta | Page 3

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Icewolf, Jul 18, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

IcewolfValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Still have some white stringy poop, and one of the females is starting to do more hiding, she came out for breakfast and it looks like her anus might be on the red side. I'm thinking I may need to get something for internal parasites at this point. One of my male platy seems to be smaller then he was a few days ago, I am starting to wonder if its some kind of worm maybe? I tried to get some pictures of the two who seem to have issues but they keep hiding and I didnt get any good photos.

Edit: Did some google searching and it kinda sounds like camallanous worms....if it is a parasite.... :(

2. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Oh snap. Yeah, you might have to treat for parasites then. Um. Hm. That kind of makes me wonder if your betta could have [had?] parasites since they were all together.

3. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I am wondering the same thing. Any suggestions for treatment? The betta is still improving so I am wondering if there's a parasite which has also weakened them enough to cause a secondary bacterial thing. I was trying to figure out where on earth parasites may have come from, nothing had been added in 6 months, but I suppose it could take that long maybe for it to really start affecting them? We also are on well water and live near a swamp, so wondering if I need to have my water tested for parasites......

4. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I hope it's not your water, because... That's disturbing.
    You can try General Cure, which contains Metronidazole and Praziquantel. You can also try Metronidazole alone, directly in the water, soaked in fish food, or buy a medicated food so that it goes directly into their systems. This can also help with bacterial infections as well as parasites.

Edit: if you soak food in medication, using something like Seachem Focus will help bind the medicine to the food.

5. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Would something like this work?
    Just looking around for a food since I think that may be the easiest. Should I remove my snails and shrimp (not sure I can catch the ghost shrimp easily)?

6. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I mean, any one of those would work.
    I actually did find how to treat camallanus on here: Important - How To Get Rid Of Camallanus/nematode Worms

I've never dealt with it myself, so I can't speak from experience, I've just done a lot of research in the past of various illnesses because I'm a fish hypochondriac.

I don't know if you'll need to remove the snails and shrimp. If they get ahold of the food, they might essentially be poisoned, but you're not treating the waters, so...

7. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Y
    I came across that as well while googling, very informative but it makes it sound like i should treat the entire tank as well. I may just remove the snails for awhile, I can put them in a critter keeper with an air stone as well while I treat, just to be safe rather then sorry (the kids would be upset if I kill their snails.) My next question is, should I treat the betta for the worms as well, since he had been with the other fish?

8. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ok, I managed to get some pictures of the two behaving strangely, the male platy has shrunk significantly since Thursday, but he was always on the smaller side. I rarely see him, and when I do approach the tank he takes off and hides, the other male I have always bullies him so I thought maybe it was from that, worms didn't cross my mind till the white poop and now this female. She hasn't lost color, this is how she was when I got her as well 6 months ago. She has a slightly red protruding anus. She been hanging near the top of the tank, shes still eating but is swimming as if she cant balance well today. I don't specifically see any worms, so its really just guessing at this point. The male does still eat and he swims around the tank but he stays closer to the lower half of the tank most of the time now...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What are those weird stringy things floating around? Is that related to what you're talking about?

I kind of want to say to try General Cure first because it combines two medications in one. Then if it isn't strong enough or effective, to treat more aggressively. But you could start full strength with something else also. It's really hard to say and kind of up to you. I'm not a scientist, biologist, or otherwise expert nor trained, so I don't want to steer you wrong. There's many routes you could go as far as medications and methods of dosing, and unless you can take a sample and look under a microscope or get an aquatic vet, it's hard to know/say for sure what to do.

General Cure is plant, fish, shrimp, and snail safe. This is the only thing I have experience using, as I used it to treat the tank a few months back when I had a couple platies lurking about in corners and just acting down, uninterested in... Life. Then one of them started flashing, so I fed peas and dosed it, thus I can't be sure exactly which perked them up, but I feel that it was probably both.

As far as your betta, I'd finish treating for dropsy first. I'm not sure if Kanaplex and whatever you choose for the other fish can be combined. Even if it can, I'd personally focus on the dropsy first, then give him a break for a week or two before treating for possible parasites. It kind of depends on him and how he responds to current treatment. If he remains bloated out but doesn't seem to have dropsy anymore, it's possible he has internal parasites causing the bloat.

Oi. It's really complicated. Fish vets should be more accessible and prevelant. Have you looked into that around you?

10. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The weird stringy things in the background are actually bubbles from the filter. There are lots of bubbles in my tank, I donno if that's good or bad, but I have noticed more and more since adding live plants to it. I think I will try the general cure, it's easier to get a hold of and see if it helps or not. If not I will go more aggressive. The betta is doing well so far, seems to have perked up, the dropsy isn't worse so I hope that's a good sign and since it wasn't super duper noticeable without zooming in on the pictures I took I am not 100% sure if it has gone down. I will take a picture when I have him in his bath tomorrow and see if it looks better. Thank you so much for your help, it has honestly been awhile since I have had any major fish issues.

11. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    What do you think this morning? I feel like he looks better, he is definitely acting better, he really likes those bug bites. The platies are still acting oddly, waiting on the general cure to be delivered as well. The betta has one more dose of kanaplex left and I think it has helped significantly.

[​IMG]

12. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Oo, yeah, he looks good. No pineconing!

13. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

Ratings:
    +24
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I plan to continue to give him the Epsom salt baths till the weekend, unfortunately I wont be around during the weekend. I have general cure showing up Thursday and plan to dose the main tank on Friday a few hours before I leave, since its 48 hours between doses, and I will be home by then. Hopefully the platies will be okay till then. They are still eating at least but still pooping white. Poor guys. MY mom is coming to feed everyone but there's no way I can convince her to give Epsom baths or deal with fish medications, let alone water changes. So hopefully everyone will be okay while I am away. Nothing like worrying about all the animals while out of town.

Become a Fishlore Member