Possibly Sick Betta

Icewolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sterilite is a brand of storage containers (just in case you thought I said sterilize). If the air stone is gentle, then it could provide good water circulation.
Ha, I did mistake that for the word sterilize (silly me). Would a medium/large critter keeper work as well? I have one of those laying around that hasn't been used in 3 years.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ha, I did mistake that for the word sterilize (silly me). Would a medium/large critter keeper work as well? I have one of those laying around that hasn't been used in 3 years.
Yes those work too. I forgot to mention that it's easier to have a 2.5 or 5 gallon hospital tank which makes measuring out medication easier.

Icewolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So a couple of the platties have white poop now too... I planned on doing a 25 to 30% water change today as well, but the white poop in them makes me worried.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
However just yesterday I noticed Merlin (the betta) was not out and about for morning feeding, I feed a mix of omega one super color flake food, frozen foods like brine shrimp and bloodworms and an occasional chunk of nori seaweed which the shrimp lov
How often and how much do you feed each of these foods?
I don't know if there's a diet issue or internal issue such as parasites.
Is it white and solid or like clear?

Icewolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Poop is more clear with white bits. I feed the omega flake food twice a day and the frozen brine shrimp and blood worms each once a week so usually one on wed and another sat. Friday I fast the tank. I did just get bug bites in and was going to incorporate that as well. Fish usually devour their food within a minute or two, so not much hits the bottom but what does the shrimp and snails take care of. I usually give the nori seaweed once every two weeks since it makes such a mess.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try only feeding a couple pellets of Bug Bites for awhile. Maybe the flakes are causing constipation. Some fish don't do well with flakes. Bettas especially can have difficulties because flakes (and pellets) expand. You can try soaking them first before feeding, but they'll likely turn to mush. One of my platy had the same problem (or similar, assuming that is the problem) when eating Omega One flakes. The others were fine. After I switched to only Bug Bites (and Sera O-nip tabs) for the main food, he stopped having problems.
It's worth a try. Otherwise you can treat for internal parasites. I'd rather not advise you to medicate without ruling out other things though because the medication can cause stress on the body, so if it's not necessary...

Icewolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try only feeding a couple pellets of Bug Bites for awhile. Maybe the flakes are causing constipation. Some fish don't do well with flakes. Bettas especially can have difficulties because flakes (and pellets) expand. You can try soaking them first before feeding, but they'll likely turn to mush. One of my platy had the same problem (or similar, assuming that is the problem) when eating Omega One flakes. The others were fine. After I switched to only Bug Bites (and Sera O-nip tabs) for the main food, he stopped having problems.
It's worth a try. Otherwise you can treat for internal parasites. I'd rather not advise you to medicate without ruling out other things though because the medication can cause stress on the body, so if it's not necessary...
I opened the bug bites jar and was amazed by how small the pellets are, if you can even call it that, it's more like powder. The betta still isnt interested in food, and one of the patties decided he wasn't hungry and chilled at the bottom of the tank tonight, gonna keep my eye on him and see if his behavior continues to be odd.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh dear. I hope they all aren't getting sick. It's still hard to tell whether it's intestinal or parisitic. Not eating and clear poop can be either one. If this goes on for another day or so, you may need to dose the whole tank with an internal parasite medication just in case.
Have you tried peas?

Edit: oh, I missed your latest photo. Yeah, I'd move him to a separate tank or storage tub and treat with Kanaplex immediately. He's pineconing, all right, looks like more then before.
I'm worried about the other fish now. Dropsy isn't contagious, but since it's a symptom of an underlying problem, if that problem can affect other fish...
On the other hand, the two issues might not be related at all. This is where it's stressful having fish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm currently treating him for kanaplex, but worried whatever the betta has may have moved to the other guys. Gonna keep my eyes on them today, I tried peas this morning they ate them, so we shall see if it continues even after peas. I also plan to continue to give epsom salt baths for the betta each day, how long can I continue doing those safely? I dont want to over stress him either.

Also that link didnt lead to anything. hmm

Edit: I want to report that the betta ate 2 small pellets of the bug bites, he seemed more interested in eating those but only ate 2 before losing interest, he isnt any worse, but if hes improved its so tiny its hard for me to tell, he seems to chill in the epsom baths and just watch me as I watch him. He seems to have more energy and better balance after the baths. The platies in the main tank really liked the bug bites and ate like little fatties, even the one who has been hiding this weekend came out, Still seeing white poop but we shall see how that goes after the pea. Fingers crossed the kanaplex works. I do have a question, could internal parasites cause the dropsy? I have never had any fish with dropsy so this is all new to me, in fact the only thing I have ever dealt with was a very mild case of Ich many many years ago.

Last edited:

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know why that didn't work before.
I'm glad he ate! I'm glad they all ate.

Icewolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know why that didn't work before.
I'm glad he ate! I'm glad they all ate.
Merlins energy is a lot better, less lethargic at least. looking at him from above i can still see the pineconing but from the sides i cant see it so maybe it has gone down. It's hard to say for sure tho. How long do you think I should continue doing daily salt baths? He does okay in them but I feel so mean having to net him, and worry I may be stressing him out doing so.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, I'm confused. I had more to my post, but it's gone.

If you have your betta separate in its own tank, I think you can now put the dissolved Epsom salt in his tank with the Kanaplex.

Last edited by a moderator:

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you can add the Epsom salt directly into the hospital tank with the betta and Kanaplex. I agree, removing constantly for baths might be more stressful. However, I think it's still beneficial because it'll help reduce the swelling.
Dropsy is caused by something else that results in a build up of fluids internally (I think in the kidney), which pushes out the scales, causing pineconing. It's thus not contagious, BUT it's cause could affect other fish, like if there's bad bacteria in the main tank or something off in the water. There's unfortunately no way to tell the cause of dropsy unless you happen to have access to an aquatic vet or microscope and research to diagnose samples yourself and therefore no way to tell for sure if the cause will affect your other fish.

I dealt with dropsy for the first time a few weeks ago and only one fish developed it. It's possible that that particular fish just had a weaker immune system or something wrong already, who knows. I hope that your dropsy case is isolated as well. As a preventative and paranoid measure, I removed the little gravel I had in there (it was supposed to be the quarantine tub to begin with, but I had to put a couple fish in there that were getting bullied in the main tank and I had 3 juvenile platy growing out there, too; it was one of the juveniles that got dropsy) and removed all the mulm (I'd had Indian Almond Leaves that had disintegrated), in case a bad bacteria grew in it. I left only the little DIY filter in there.

Icewolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea, I read a bit on dropsy the other night. I just have never experienced it. At dinner tonight my betta wanted to eat, he was following me as I walked past his container and ate readily. He also looks more smooth now, so I may just continue to take him out for the dips once a day, its obviously helped him in just the few days. I am assuming I can stop doing the dips once he is no longer a little betta pinecone?
He has lots more energy now too, he is no longer hanging on the bottom, and as I said he kinda was chasing me back and forth as I went about feeding everyone. When he wasn't sick he was quite the character, always out and about and would always swim to the front of the tank if I was near by, I knew something was wrong when I didn't see him at breakfast on Thursday. Just glad he is starting to behave more like himself again.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He also looks more smooth now, so I may just continue to take him out for the dips once a day, its obviously helped him in just the few days. I am assuming I can stop doing the dips once he is no longer a little betta pinecone?
The biggest mistake people make is stopping treatment at the first sign of improvement. I'd continue them for at least a few more days just to be sure since for all we know it could be keeping him alive.

Icewolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The biggest mistake people make is stopping treatment at the first sign of improvement. I'd continue them for at least a few more days just to be sure since for all we know it could be keeping him alive.
I didn't plan to stop yet, he still is pineconing a little. I meant like a day or so after I stopped seeing raised scales or if I should go longer then that.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, I'd go longer, after the visible signs are gone. Because, as I said, we don't know if that's keeping him alive, plus it might be reducing the swelling enough for the pineconing to go away, but there still could be fluid in the kidney that the salt would help with.
A day or so... Hmm. I want to say three days just to be safe? Did you start treating with Kanamycin? I don't remember.

Icewolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, I'd go longer, after the visible signs are gone. Because, as I said, we don't know if that's keeping him alive, plus it might be reducing the swelling enough for the pineconing to go away, but there still could be fluid in the kidney that the salt would help with.
A day or so... Hmm. I want to say three days just to be safe? Did you start treating with Kanamycin? I don't remember.
I gave The fist dose yesterday around 8pm, shortly after it was delivered. So by the directions the next dose would be tomorrow around the same time. I have been doing the salt baths in the morning, not sure if that makes any difference or not. So far he has reacted fine to the Kanamycin, and since there's some improvement I am hoping it is indeed helping.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd just keep doing the salt baths and the Kanamycin as directed then.
I'm so glad he's doing better and getting his personality back. I think you caught it in time and hopefully the treatments will work completely and he'll be healthy again.

As for the other fish... How are they doing?

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 6 66.7%

Top Bottom