Possibly Sick Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Icewolf, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Icewolf

IcewolfValued MemberMember

Ok, I may be worried for no reason but I have a 30 gallon tank with a about 6 platties, mostly female, 2 mystery snails, a few ghost shrimp not sure how many but under 5 total, and a betta. They have been happy together for almost 6 months, the tank has been cycled for about 3 years but we made a change to the filter around the beginning of this year to an Aqueon QuietFlow 50 (and I hate it and wish I went with another Aquaclear), I digress. The betta usually is very active, eats well and everyone seems to do well together. We have lots of plants both fake and live and I even have a betta log which he loves to sleep in at night. However just yesterday I noticed Merlin (the betta) was not out and about for morning feeding, I feed a mix of omega one super color flake food, frozen foods like brine shrimp and bloodworms and an occasional chunk of nori seaweed which the shrimp love. So I did some looking and my beloved betta was in one of the plants at the bottom. I didn't see much of him all day. He wasn't interested in food this morning either and was chilling near the bottom of the tank again. I decided to put him in a breeder box so he could be closer to the top since he just seemed kind of lethargic. Now I may be losing my mind but I think he looks like he might be pineconing a little bit. His color is normal, his fins look normal, he's going to the top easier now that he is in the breeder.
    Tank parameters are as follows:
    Temp: 79.7 f
    Ph: 7.8
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: between 10 and 20 its hard to tell
    Ammonia: 0

I just did a 50% water change on Tuesday, I normally do maintenance every Saturday but was on vacation for the last few weeks and it got skipped. I normally vacuum half the sand at the bottom every week and treat with prime and stability. Fish were not over fed while I was away (to my knowledge) and the lights are on a timer and are on for 8 hours. I am attaching some photos of my betta I took tonight during feeding. Any suggestions? I do not have space for a hospital tank and all other fish currently are behaving and look normal.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ^ This photo is how he looked a few days after we got him 6 months ago, his red coloring became a lot more vibrant over the last few months.[​IMG] This last one was him at the end of April.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  2. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

His scales look to be ever so slightly raised and that is a sign of dropsy. Dropsy is a symptom of an underlying cause, most commonly a bacterial infection. It affects kidneys and liver which causes him to retain fluids and the scales to raise among other symptoms. You caught it in the very early stages so it's treatable.

It's best you do move him to a hospital tank for his own treatment. You can just use a sterilite storage container as a hospital tank. Start treating him with Kanaplex which is the most effective medication because it's easily absorbed through the skin and gills. Epsom salt baths (1TBSP/Gallon for 10-15 minutes) in a separate contain can relieve some fluid retention.

3. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

Any suggestions on where to get kanaplex? Amazons back ordered till next week and petco and petsmart don't sell it, and neither does the tiny fish store in town. :(

Edit: Scratch that I found some, it should get here sometime Saturday, hopefully things dont get worse by then. Anything else I can do while I wait?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  4. Repolie

Try looking for a local aquarium society and asking if any of the members have it.

5. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

I managed to find some, and ordered it but it wont get here till Saturday. Better then next friday I suppose.

6. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

Been giving my betta the epsom salt baths once a day for the last couple days, he isnt worse, a little improvement, but still slightly pineconed. The medication should be arriving today. While in his salt bath this morning he pooped a long stringy white/light brown poop. Could that be due to not eating for 3 days, or a sign of parasites too? I feel so bad for Merlin but after his bath this morning he had perked up a little bit and was holding all his fins out like he used too.

I really want to thank you for your help and plan to keep this updated with how things go.

7. Repolie

Bettas with dropsy often have difficulty defecating because of the fluid retention. His poop probably looks that way because of not eating and finally defecating. When he's back on his normal diet, his poop should also look normal.

8. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

How often should I be giving the salt baths also? is once a day fine or should I be doing it like, twice a day?

9. Repolie

There isn't really any schedule in giving salt baths, just given when it's needed. If you feel it's doing something, then doing it once a day should be fine.

10. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

The Epsom salt may also be working as a laxative, forcing a bowel movement.

He doesn't look like he's pineconing to me, but that's just my opinion. Has his behavior improved? How is his swimming?

11. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

He hasn't eaten in 3 days and i havn't seen him poop in that time either. His pineconing hasn't gotten worse and I am thankful for that.

12. CheshireKat

He could've been constipated. I've had fish behave like this and perk up after peas and bowel movement. Long, white, stringy poop is often fish diarrhea. It could be signs of parasites, but so far, I've solved the problem by providing more fiber. For one platy, it stopped when I ceased feeding flakes.
    I'm just concerned because if he doesn't have dropsy, kanamycin would be unnecessary and can take affect internal organs with prolonged usage. He doesn't look like he's pineconing to me. There were a couple scales in one photo that looked possibly slightly raised but he's really quite smooth. I've only experienced dropsy once and very recently, but when he pineconed, it was very obvious. My fish also bloated out, although with bettas I've noticed this is less obvious than with my platy.

13. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

He was a little more pine-coned yesterday, but I didn't get a picture of it, his scales were more raised yesterday morning. It doesn't hurt to keep kanaplex on hand since it's not carried anywhere near by either.

Here's a photo from just now...pretty sure his scales are raised. Maybe more then the Thursday but better then yesterday.
    [​IMG]

14. CheshireKat

Yeah, I couldn't get Kanaplex in time and my fish died of dropsy. Only three months old. Sucks that it's not at the chain stores but they sell other gimmicky junk.

15. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

Behavior wise he's pretty mellow right now, but he seems to perk up when he sees me come over. He seems to be swimming okay but I have him in a breeder box to give him an easier time getting to the top for air, I am going to try and get something to use as a hospital tank today, just not sure what. I don't have space for another true tank and don't have a lot of extra cash to go towards it right now either.

I posted a photo above of how he looks today btw.

16. Repolie

A sterilite storage container is safe to use as a temporary hospital tank.

17. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

I'm sorry for your loss. Really sucks they dont sell the right stuff, I used to work for petsmart and it always annoyed me with a lot of the **** we sold, the fish manager was really well versed and would steer people away from that gimmicky junk.

18. OP
    OP
    Icewolf

How do you recommend I sterilize something like that? and should I put an air stone in to keep oxygen up? I know some of the meds can drop oxygen levels.

19. CheshireKat

Sterilite is the brand of tub. I have 1 for quarantine/hospital, 1 for fry, and 1 for juveniles. An airstone would never hurt.

20. Repolie

Sterilite is a brand of storage containers (just in case you thought I said sterilize). If the air stone is gentle, then it could provide good water circulation.