Possibly Sick Betta :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Little Blue Ram, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Little Blue Ram

Little Blue RamValued MemberMember

This is the 1st time I've uploaded pictures. Please let me know if they are too big or if somethings wrong with them.

I need help figuring out whats wrong with him and possibly how to treat him. No other fish or inverts seem sick or have symptoms

Template-

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 13 gallon

How long has the tank been running? finished cycling on 4/28/19 and has been running since. So almost 3 months but not quite there.

Does it have a filter? Yes. Aquaclear 30

Does it have a heater? Yes

What is the water temperature? right now around 80 but it's normally around 75.

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Betta, 6 celestial pearl danios and 3 full grown japanese trapdoor snails, mixed with i dont know how many babies.

Maintenance

How often do you change the water? weekly

How much of the water do you change? 30-50%

What do you use to treat your water? Prime

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? gravel vac.

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes

What do you use to test the water? API freshwater master kit

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5
    pH: 7.6

Feeding

How often do you feed your fish? once to twice a day depending on food used ( pellets only once, frozen food twice since they eat it all)

How much do you feed your fish? enough for them to finish within a few seconds, snail food is left for the day (usually gone by the time i get home from work)

What brand of food do you feed your fish? Bug bites and i believe the frozen in sally's, snails get snello

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? frozen and pellets

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish? since 5/11/19

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? a week or two ago- Fins were losing some of the blue out of them and overtime started to see some white but nothing like ive seen before

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Discoloration on body, fins changing color and white spots appearing. See photos and description below.

Have you started any treatment for the illness? No i'm not sure what to treat for.

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No, he acts like his normal self.

Explain your situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

The fins were the 1st thing i noticed. He used to have dark blue surrounding his fins, now its starting to fade, and some white spots that look kinda like coloration show up in its place. Now on his body it looks like the scales are bubbled but only in one section. This section also looks to be changing color to a yellow (which the betta has) and some grayish white.

After taking photos the scales look raised. betta sick1.jpgbetta sick 2.jpg

2. OP
    OP
    Little Blue Ram

This is a photo of him when i purchased him. new betta.jpg

3. LittleBlueGuppy

LittleBlueGuppyWell Known MemberMember

Have the white spots been spreading at all since you first noticed it?

4. OP
    OP
    Little Blue Ram

On his fins they have spread within the last 2 weeks, 2 or 3 white spots had shown up the 1st week and i started monitoring him, from there they look like they have spread or gotten longer in the same area. His body has only been visible today.

5. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Very pretty! It looks like he's maturing and his coloring is changing, which is pretty common in bettas (you should see my betta; he's changed a lot! I actually have posted photos of his transformation on this forum).
    What concerns me are the scales. You said they look raised. It doesn't really look like it to me, but photos aren't really the best representative. White spots could be ich, but it sounds like the spots are getting bigger, not that there are more spots?

6. OP
    OP
    Little Blue Ram

I don't think it's ich, i've dealt with it before on fish and this looks nothing like it. I did look into the "jumping gene" on bettas and it could potentially be that but the scales concern me the most and make me think it's something else. I've been looking at him most the day to figure it out and 3-5 scales are raised, and those scales look almost plastic like, where this morning they looked kinda like bubble wrap.

7. CheshireKat

8. OP
    OP
    Little Blue Ram

I'm starting to think that too. My last betta had lymphocystis and it doesnt look like that but after looking at dropsy, i'm beginning to think he might have to the start of it. I was thinking about grabbing an all in one cure or something for dropsy. Now my next question is to treat the whole tank or move him to a QT tank and treat him there.

9. CheshireKat

For dropsy, you can start with with Epsom salt baths.
    But I'm not certain if that's the situation here. What you're describing doesn't sound like dropsy to me. The scales may raise, but don't look "plastic like." The scales themselves aren't changed externally, they're just pushed out from the inside due to fluid build up and swelling from the inside, usually the kidney.
    Either way, you could try an Epsom salt bath to see if that reduces swelling. Kanaplex (kanamycin) will treat dropsy and is absorbed into the body.

Here's my 3 month old platy who had dropsy a couple weeks ago and unfortunately didn't make it. He or she bloated out as if someone pumped in air like a balloon. A few days to a week later, pineconing.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  10. OP
    OP
    Little Blue Ram

Yeah, i'm confused on whats wrong with him. I feel like i've looked into everything and dropsy and slime disease are the closest i can find to what he might have but he doesnt have all the definite signs of them.

11. CheshireKat

Heck, there could be nothing really wrong and just a harmless thing happening :emoji_shrug: I recently had a male Molly in quarantine for a month, gave a salt bath, and treated with Paraguard and although the weird scales seemed to heal and regain color very, very slowly, he still doesn't look the same as before... Yet nothing seems to be wrong with him and no one has answers. Then I saw the same thing going on with others of his type at the store. I've concluded that it's just a thing that happened but he's healthy.
    Pretty stressful though trying to figure these things out.

12. OP
    OP
    Little Blue Ram

Thanks for all your help today :) I appreciate it. This is totally stressful, I don't wanna lose him. I'm hoping this just goes away but i'm gunna pick up everything he might need just in case of anything (it never hurts to have it on hand).