Possibly Pregnant Black Molly

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Jaden010317, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Jaden010317

Jaden010317New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi! This is my first post! So I just put a 29 gallon tank in my son's room. We went and got fish a week ago and I'm pretty sure his black molly is pregnant. When we got her she was definitely not bloated and now her abdomen is definitely much larger than when we got her. She was up swimming in the middle of the tank or higher but now she is swimming about 2 inches from the gravel and she stays away from the other fish. I bought a breeder box just in case but any help/advice is much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Sheryl

SherylValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +27
    Experience:
    1 year
    Good luck. Hope you have a bunch of cute babies!!

3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They're extremely prolific so she most likely is. The photos aren't that clear (I wanted to make sure it is female), but there's a very good chance she is.
    Some fish do become more shy or aloof near birth. My Molly and platy don't; they act the same up til birth and pop 'em out like no big deal and continue on same as always.

Of course, there's the possibility she's bigger and acting differently because of internal parasites, but I'm leaning more towards pregnant.

4. OP
    OP
    Jaden010317

Ratings:
    +1
    She is definitely a female, I've been trying to get a picture of her but near where she poops there is a white spot now. My tank has a haze on the outside that I've been slowly getting rid of. She is slowly gravitating more towards the filter and stays at the back of the tank. She also seems to be less interested in food now too and the past few days she was eating like crazy when we fed them. I'm going to try to take a good picture but the lighting we have makes it hard. Thanks!!

5. OP
    OP
    Jaden010317

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you! I'm hoping so too! She is beautiful so I'm hoping she and babies all do well! I have a 10 gallon tank to transfer the fry into once she has them!

6. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hm. I hope she's not sick. They normally don't lose interest in food. If anything, they're more obsessed with food. But maybe that's just a quirk for her.
    Like a gravid spot?

Good luck with that! It's quite a pain. I once spent an hour trying to catch just one fry, the last one. They can be quite fast! Fortunately Molly fry are a bit bigger than my platy fry. Some people use a turkey baster or even a gravel vac to get them but I don't have much luck with the former and don't want to try the latter.

My Molly liked to give birth after water changes. Within 12 hours, there'd be fry.

7. OP
    OP
    Jaden010317

Ratings:
    +1
    I got her to eat some. She has been trying to hide around the filter and is staying away from my male dalmation molly who keeps coming up to her. The white spot is right at her anal vent and I read that that is common with a pregnant black molly.

8. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ah, then maybe she's being harassed and that's why she's hiding away. How many males and how many females do you have?
    Maybe you could add more hiding spots? Caves or pots and things so she can get some peace.

9. OP
    OP
    Jaden010317

Ratings:
    +1
    I have 3 female and 1 male. The females dont bother her but the male is always close. I have 2 caves, grass, fake and living plants so there is lots of hiding areas.

10. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ah, okay. Sometimes I think the males get impatient with the pregnant females and "urge" them to hurry up and give birth. My male is doing that now. Drives me nuts and makes me want to put him on timeout. Give her a break, will ya?

11. OP
    OP
    Jaden010317

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the help! Sorry this is my first time with a pregnant fish and I just want to make sure she is okay. I will update in the morning!!

12. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    When I was a kid, we bred Dalmatian mollies a couple times for fun. Right now, I have several batches of growing platies and a couple batches of mollies. It's very fun and enjoyable to see them grow up and develop.

Also, note: I've read that moving pregnant livebearers to a breeder box or separate tank, especially close to term, can cause the fish stress and abort. I let them do their thing in the main aquarium. I have some growing up in the main tank, a bunch in a breeder box because I've been doing renovations on the tank and didn't want to squash them or something, and some mollies in a 5 gallon tub. They will quickly overrun you if you're not careful! My platy gives birth about once a month.

13. OP
    OP
    Jaden010317

Ratings:
    +1
    Good morning! She is still plump today and avoiding other fish. She is moving between the filter and our potted plant we got yesterday. She hasn't gone up to the upper half of the tank at all. I think I got an okay picture of her this morning.

Attached Files:

14. JamieLu

JamieLuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +347
    Experience:
    2 years
    She looks like she could be preg but in my opinion she looks sick or stressed, her fins are a bit rough looking but the pic isnt very clear. Did u cycle the tank before adding fish? Do u know what ur ammonia and nitrite readings are?

15. OP
    OP
    Jaden010317

Ratings:
    +1
    My water was cycled. I can pick up some water testers when I go go the store. Her fins are hard to see in the pictures but they are clear on the edges and all are nice and smooth. My father in law sets up all my stuff as he has had fresh and salt water tanks for over 30 years. He just hasn't had babies. She is acting fine other than staying away from the others and hovering around the filter and plants.

16. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    She doesn't look as big as before, so I really can't be certain. I'd just continue to watch her. Look for flashing (basically jerky movement and "flicking" in the water and against things is best I can describe it) and rubbing against things. I had a platy suddenly start hanging out near the bottom and being less active and I wondered if she was going to give birth as well. But after a week or so, maybe 2, she started flashing and I said I was done waiting for more symptoms and treated the tank with General Cure and didn't have problems after. I suspected she had gill flukes but I don't know for sure what the problem was.

Fish, and livebearers in particular, are often bred and raised in mass and can harbor disease or parasites and not all stores do good quarantine, which is why people have problems when they bring them home or you'll see dead fish in store tanks. Some people medicate their new fish before adding them to their tanks. Not saying she's ill and definitely has any issues, but something to keep in mind.

17. OP
    OP
    Jaden010317

Ratings:
    +1
    She is very active today! I changed the filters and put the heater in last night and she is hitting playing "tag" and venturing farther up the tank. She is also pigging out and even munching on the algae tablet I put in for my snails. Here are two pictures of her from this evening. Thanks everyone for the help!

Attached Files: