Possibly Pregnant Black Molly Contantly Gasping

1. DNA Initiate Member

Hi all!
    I have a 55gal community tank with multiple fish, all non aggresive fish.
    My ammonia reads 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, p.h 7, temp is 26 c.

Lastnight while watching my fish. i noticed my black female had a larger belly than normal and was gasping erratically. now ive ruled out it being dropsy and seeming as she is with a male sailfin the probability of her being pregnant is very high. though the gasping is a worry. she is always gasping at the top. non of the other fish do this whatsoever.

Help please?

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

It is hard to say what is up with your molly. She could be in labor. Can you get a picture? Many members are very good at determining this.

Possibly she is the weakest fish in your tank and she needs more oxygen. Add an oxygen line should alleviate this.

Or, she may have a disease. Have you noticed any flashing or unusual behaviors, other than the surface gasping?

Test results can be negatively affected with Prime and the API kits. Just to verify, you are waiting at least 24 hours after dosing to test. Right?

Other than sharing my dislike of bacterial products like Stability, I am out of ideas.

Hope you figure it out soon.

Good luck.

3. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

I'm not really sure about her being in labor, but what Catsma said about being the weakest fish made me think about my molly. I recently got him, and don't have experience with them, but I noticed he required much more water movement/oxygenated water flowing than the other fish I kept (like angels, for example). His breathing was quite labored, and I realized the water line was high, too close to the filter. After I lowered the water line, and after a little time of increased water agitation by the filter, his breathing was back to normal.
    So, just something to think about. :)

4. DNA Initiate Member

I dont believe she would be in labour. Ive only just noticed her become larger. I am aware of Prime's possible effect on testing though my tank is definatly cycled. More oxyden supply could be added but i already have 2 air pumps with stones and a powerhead with venturi addition. I am still not aure. ill post pics when i get hone. thanks for the advice so far!

5. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I wasn't trying to indicate labor was a cause, only that it could be a possibility. Just rattling things off the top of my head.