Possibly new betta? should/shouldnt?

BettaGirl92
Possibly new betta? -- UPDATE

I'm thinking about getting a new Betta boy tomorrow.
I seen him at the LFS tonight and FELL IN LOVE with him.
He's all BRIGHT red, except for the tips of his tail and fins, which are purple.
oh, he's a veil tail.

Should I do it?
I'm not sure.
x

tkfury
Should you get another betta?

Of course!

capekate
HI Tara Dawn...
I'm all for rescuing Bettas from their death cups! I'd say go for it!
Do you have a tank all ready for a new lil one?

BettaGirl92
oh I know!
seeing them in thoes cups makes me so sad.
I seen this little boy and had to rescue him.

I have a 5.5 gallon that i'm going to divide for now.
in the mean time, i'm getting some money together to get him his own 5gal.

angelfish220
Be-tta! Be-tta! Be-tta!

tkfury
I had my eye on a nearly all white female while I was cycling my 5g. Saddly someone got to her before I could and I've been kicking myself for it. If there is a possibility you have room for another betta, never let it pass you up Good luck with the lil'fella.

Tazmiche
YEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 100%

Lucy
Hey, I'm all for a new betta if you are ready for one.

voiceless_kat
Nothings better than a betta!

Bettas are best!!

You must get that little beauty and share his pics with all of us so we can fuss over him!!

Good luck...you will not be sorry. And good for you for putting him into a 5 gallon tank!

Val

BettaGirl92
Oh man, i'm so exicted to get him today.
tkfury- I KNEW if I didn't get this little man, someone would have bought him, so I BEGGED the person at the store to put a sold sign on his little cup, and he did.

Martinismommy
Hurry up and go get him! I want to see his sweet little face!

BettaGirl92
I got himmmm!
He's not as red as I thought, but he's still beau-ti-ful.

I have a concern though,
They can see each other a little.
And my current betta likes to flare at him, but new guy doesn't seem to care.

I'm worried about them jumping over the divider,

is there anything I can do about that?

tkfury
Very good thinking on your part. Congratulations on your little guy.
With all the stress what with moving and all, his coloring might of just dulled down a little bit. There are a few threads in this section that show before and after pictures of their little guys, they were pretty before but after being in a nice clean tank large enough for them, wow.

I've only had females but when I brought Winry home and divided Faye's tank. All Faye did was flare... or was it Winry? I can't even rmemeber now. One of the flared and the other just didn't seem to mind. Its been awhile now and none of them flare anymore. I think a bit of jealousy was in the mix. Bettas get very attached to their owners, your older guy might just be upset about the intruder trying to steal his mommy away. With males I've heard it suggested to have plants on both sides of the divider to break up line of sight and I believe some people use the moss walls idea (believe its somewhere in the DIY section) as a divider.

If possible, try and raise the divider so it touches the lid. If it's a little short on the bottom you can just push over the gravel so they can't get under it, maybe?

BettaGirl92
I tried that, and there's plants on either side.

where/how would you get moss walls?
that might work well, as the plants arn't.

Butterfly
I tried that, and there's plants on either side.

where/how would you get moss walls?
that might work well, as the plants arn't.
You can use needle point plastic to make a divider of the appropriate size and tie Java Moss into it. In not too long the moss will be growing all over it.

They are using tiny wires(twist ties) to hold the moss on but thread will work just as well.
Carol

BettaGirl92
how long will the java moss take to grow?
I have some, but not much.

tkfury
I'm not sure exactly how long it'll take the moss to grow but within about a week of buying two "clumps" it spread over the wood farily fast.

I'm not sure if it'll work but maybe you can try cutting a background and somehow place it next to the divider? I'd assume it wouldn't be good long term but might last long enough for the moss to grow some. I'd definatlly wait to see if that's an option - my mind says it would be okay temporary but ya never know.

voiceless_kat
I got himmmm!
He's not as red as I thought, but he's still beau-ti-ful.

I have a concern though,
They can see each other a little.
And my current betta likes to flare at him, but new guy doesn't seem to care.

I'm worried about them jumping over the divider,

is there anything I can do about that?

Congratulations on bringing him home, Tara . What is his name?? I will be looking forward to pics. I hope all goes well with him, I am sure his colour will brighten up when he relaxs and realizes his good luck at being your special betta boy!!

Val

COBettaCouple
Congrats on your new Betta! Love the name too!

Java Moss does pretty well - what lighting do you have in the tank? PlantGeek may have some tips for growing it faster and the best WPG for it.

BettaGirl92
Thanks Val!

His name is Stitch. And I'll be posting up pictures as soon as I can get a good one of him.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Starrumble
  • Question
Replies
Views
bermese2002
Top Bottom