10 Gallon Tank Possibly getting used SW setup...Need advice

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I found this on craigslist and was wondering what you saltwater experts thought: . I emailed him for more information on what was included and this was the response: "bio filter,light 36 watts you can use for leather coral etc. ,live rock,10lb of live sand,heater,hydrometer,tank no stand." Just a few days ago he was asking $125 but now he just wants $70 (don't know if that means anything). Any input would be great since I have absolutely NO experience with saltwater.

By the way, if I did get the tank I would start out pretty slow and not worry about adding any livestock for a while.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To be honest, this sounds like a good deal. If you were going to stock a 10 yourself, you might spend $70 on live rock alone. I'd at least go take a look at it; if the rock is covered in algae or aiptasia then I'd skip it. If it looks well cared for then it's a great deal.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks Harpua . I definately want to check it out, but considering it's about a 45 minute drive (more or less...I just searched for his city in mapquest because I don't have an address yet) so I wanted to get some opinions before I headed out.

EDIT: If there were aiptasia on there, would I be able to easily get rid of it considering there's no fish/coral in there? Or is it just not worth it? Thanks.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The aiptasia would be easy to get rid of. Just run the spot they are on under hot water for a minute or two. That's how I get rid of mine if there is nothing else on the LR.

Sound like a very good deal. I'll bet the light is worth more than that. Even if it's covered in algae it seem worth it.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Harpua . I definately want to check it out, but considering it's about a 45 minute drive (more or less...I just searched for his city in mapquest because I don't have an address yet) so I wanted to get some opinions before I headed out.

EDIT: If there were aiptasia on there, would I be able to easily get rid of it considering there's no fish/coral in there? Or is it just not worth it? Thanks.
Aiptasia isn't always easy to get rid of if there is an infestation.
You might ask the seller how long the tank has been set up, etc... I would expect to see some coralline on the rocks at least if it's been set up for a while. Then again, it could just be the pics.

If you go ahead and buy it, I would suggest putting the rock into buckets of saltwater and leaving the sand bed alone as much as you can. Just keep enough water in the tank to keep it wet and set it up as quickly as possible. If you are serious about buying, I would assume that you do not have saltwater premixed at this point. A lot of LFS's sell premixed SW so maybe you could pick some up.

The aiptasia would be easy to get rid of. Just run the spot they are on under hot water for a minute or two. That's how I get rid of mine if there is nothing else on the LR.

Sound like a very good deal. I'll bet the light is worth more than that. Even if it's covered in algae it seem worth it.
Running the live rock under hot water may kill the aiptasia, but it's also going to kill beneficial organisms on the rock. If it's covered in algae, that can be REALLY hard to get rid of, so that's the only reason I said that, lol.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She emailed me a picture because the CL photo is hard to see...

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is there anything else I should ask her about before I decide to drive out there? Thanks for your help.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think so, but if you need help with setting it up, stocking it, or maintaining it, I've got plenty of ideas there! ROFL

*edit* A 10 gallon will need daily attention as far as topping off. If you go out of town a lot, you may want to consider a larger setup or an auto top off.

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the tank looks as though it is a new set up, if you get it I'd try to bring all or most of the water with you, like harpua said put the rocks in a bucket with water and leave the sand and filter media wet. it looks like a nice set up and well worth 75.00. let us know what you decide to do.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey all, thanks for encouraging me to get the tank. I just picked it up so pictures will be posted soon. It came with a Marineland Penguin Biowheel 200, ViaAqua 150W heater, and I couldn't find a brand name for the lights but it looks like the one here: 36W PL. He also threw in what was left of his CaribSea PurpleUp and a plastic Red Sea Hydrometer. And to my surprise, there were about half a dozen crabs in there too . I'll be going to the LFS tomorrow. Is there anything else I should be buying? For a 10 gallon tank with some crabs, should I get some saltwater mix or just buy it premade for water changes? Any advice would help. Thanks all ;D

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dude... SWEET. Congrats on the new tank! ;D

I'm glad to see that the light is T5 HO rather than PC- you get a lot more light out of T5s.
If I could make a few suggestions, first of all, get a refractometer. I have yet to see a hydrometer read accurately when compared to a calibrated refractometer. IMO this is one of the most important purchases you can make for a reef tank. Second, don't dose the Purple Up, at least until you start testing for Calcium. Purple Up is marketed for accelerating the growth of coralline algae, but it's basically just an expensive Calcium supplement. A good rule of thumb for a reef tank IME is to not dose anything that you don't test for (so you should also invest in a reef test kit). Also, I would strongly suggest using RO/DI water for top offs, and for making your own SW if you choose to do so. You can buy water from your LFS, or you can buy the salt mix and make the water yourself with RO/DI water. They sell RO/DI at most Walmarts, Meijers, etc at the Culligan machine (or similar).

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just took a couple pics of the lights so hopefully you can give me more info on them. They don't look like the T5 lights I have in my other tank...

And ATP, the rock looked really clean so I don't think I have to worry about that but thanks

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, you're right, that is a single bulb power compact fixture. If it actually 36W though, it should give you enough light for some cool soft corals like zoanthids and mushrooms, and some easy LPS corals like frogspawn, hammer, etc.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm happy to start small with some simple corals. I proabably won't even do doing that for a while. And it'll be even longer before I put a fish in there. For now, I'm satisfied with the group of crabs. I keep hearing them making clacking sounds in there lol. I want to take it slow and get experienced with the water chemistry in saltwater tanks. I figure this way the tank will be more forgiving with me. As I gain some experience, I'll start putting some livestock in there. And I'll be counting on a lot of you guys to help me along the way ;D

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You may experience a short cycle, so it's smart to wait for adding anything.
It might be good to go ahead and pick up a SW test kit as well as keeping some premixed SW (and FW) on hand.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Will any of my current FW test kits will work with the SW tank? I have ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, low/high pH, KH and GH (all API). On Petco's website is says the API nitrate tester is for both freshwater and saltwater so I wasn't sure if that's true for that or any of the others that I have. And then I would need calcium and phosphate test kits, right? Anything else?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom