Possibly getting used Saltwater setup...Need advice 10 Gallon Tank 

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats on the mew Saltwater!!!!!! Good luck with it....love the crabs!!!!!!

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Will any of my current Freshwater test kits will work with the Saltwater tank? I have ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, low/high pH, KH and GH (all API). On Petco's website is says the API nitrate tester is for both freshwater and saltwater so I wasn't sure if that's true for that or any of the others that I have. And then I would need calcium and phosphate test kits, right? Anything else?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't remember which ones are interchangeable, but I did find some contact info for you. Maybe give API a call?
Hours of Operation:
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Eastern Time (Monday through Friday)

Product/Technical Support: (800) 847-0659

Mailing Address:
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
PO Box 218
Chalfont, PA 18914-0218
Main Office: (215) 822-8181

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Update:
They're all the same test kits but some of them have different cards. The nitrite uses the same card for both freshwater and saltwater and the GH and KH are just titration tests so it doesn't matter. I figure I'll just get the API Reef Master Test Kit that comes with the calcium, phosphate, nitrate, and KH. You can view the different cards here: API Cards.

Now I need to do some digging around about LED lights to see if they would benefit me when I add corals...

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You mean you want to upgrade the lighting to LED or you want to add supplemental lighting (moonlights)?

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was thinking about adding LEDs to my current setup but I have no knowledge about them. I guess it's the same as moonlighting? Or does it just depend on the time that they're on (night vs day)? I found these but didn't see anything about wattage so I don't know how effective they'd be:

As far as I know, they would be good for growing corals but maybe I'm wrong. Like I said, I'm taking it slow and not adding anything for a while so I have plenty of time to read more about them (but any info is also appreciated )

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those aren't going to grow any corals. Your PC fixture is going to put out a lot more light than either of them.

If you want to buy a premade fixture, you could do something like EcoXotic's Stunner strip, or if you're good with DIY stuff (I'm not), there are all kinds of plans for DIY LEDs online. Once you get all the parts together it doesn't seem that hard.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm guessing I should replace the bulb when I get start adding corals (don't even know the Kelvin rating on them). I'm thinking I should replace them with 50/50 daylight and blue actinic but I've seen the kelvin ratings as both 10,000K and 6,000K so which would be better? Also, should I be looking for something specific with the actinic? I'm thinking about the 36W combo shown here:

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, just make sure of two things...
First, those bulbs are made specifically for Nano Cube tanks and I can't recall if they are proprietary bulbs- just make sure they will fit before ordering.
Second, you may want to pull out one of the bulbs you have now and check the pins to make sure you need straight pin bulbs rather than square pin.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can always get the bulb at my LFS in case if the one in the link is proprietary. But would 10,000K be better than 6,000K for corals?

:helpsmilie: Also Harpua, if you don't mind, I'd greatly appreciate you taking a crack at this if you haven't already checked it out:

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, you'll want a 10K and an actinic for corals.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom