Possibly Fish Eggs?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Godman100, Apr 14, 2017.

1. G

Godman100 New Member Member

[​IMG]
    Was cleaning my 75g when I noticed this in the bottom of my tank. Any ideas of what this is and if this is eggs how do I go about taking care of them.
    I have two golden killie fish, nine corry cats, and one green phantom pleco.
    PH-7
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 2.0

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    Not too sure what that is. All the fish you stated above, do not lay eggs like that.

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!
    Those look a lot like snail eggs (Mystery snails maybe) tbh. Check to see if you have a hitchhiker or unknown inhabitant. Killifish and Corycats are scatters with "sticky eggs." But they definetly don't look like that

4. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

That's absolutely snail eggs

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Looks similar to Mystery snail eggs or old CORN :emoji_confounded::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Do you have a mystery snail?

6. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Maybe the pleco ate some corn. Or someone dropped chinese food in

7. Ed204

Hahaha, yeah looks like corn to me as well.

8. Junne

Yes... the teeny tiny corn..... thanks for the visual.. I may never eat them again! :emoji_tired_face::emoji_dizzy_face:

9. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Let's put it in a stirfry!

10. OP
    OP
    G

Godman100 New Member Member

We have two snails that we forgot to mention because they are so new. Whats the best way to take care of these and do recomend keeping them. Thanks!

11. Junne

Depending on how long they have been in the water, they may not be viable now.. The females lay the eggs above the water line............ you could try laying the eggs on a piece of styrofoam ( floating in the tank ) and see if they hatch ( 10-16 days )

12. Ed204

If they are mystery snail eggs, they need marine conditions to hatch.

13. Tiny_Tanganyikans

They lay them aboce the water line usually. If your level is high they prob fell in. Best thing to do is put a floating cup in there with them inside. They need to not be in water but stay moist from humidity

14. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

No, nerite snails need salt water but not mystery snails.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  15. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Get a small water proof container like a plastic tuperware or Styrofoam cup and make sure its wide enough it won't tip or attach it with some tape at the waterline. Put the eggs inside on top of a damp but squeezed out piece of papertowel with a dry towel on top of the damp one. If rhe eggs weren't ruined by being submerged they will hatch in a couple days

16. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

If the eggs were submerged, I'd assume that they are dead and toss them. It only takes a very short time for Mystery Snail eggs to drown. Had a friend many decades ago, she had a group of Mysteries in a tank that laid eggs so often, they knocked each other's egg casings loose and into the water. She fed hers Romaine lettuce, and some were nearly as big as my fist. She had one snail in another container, uncovered. It crawled about two feet above the aquarium and laid the eggs on the basement wall.

17. Tiny_Tanganyikans

I had a snail lay eggs on my clamp light but that's about it. I didn't know and went to move it and squished them.

18. Junne

:vomit::vomit::vomit::emoji_confounded::vomit::vomit::vomit:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice