Possibly Cloudy Eye?

Christopher Bowen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My tank is relatively new (about 2+ months) 20gallon saltwater fish-only. I recently got a young puffer who's been in there for about 3 weeks and within the last week he got what appears to be cloudy-eye. I tried the full regiment of meds (API Triple Sulfa) for it, and while he did perk up after a few days and began eating again, his eye still looks terrible. Will the physical symptom go away eventually or would it be something else if it's still this persistant?

Occupants:
2 Sea Snails
2 Hermit Crabs (recently removed, they were interested in eating him when he was too lethargic)
1 Damselfish (also recently removed, he's very aggressive)
1 Clownfish

Tank statistics:
1.022 on Hydrometer
pH is 8.0
Nitrate is 0.3mg/l (i know it's a bit high but i haven't been able to get it any lower)
Ammonia is 0

I do water changes 25% at least once a week, or more.

I have to sadly admit that I probably rushed into this much faster than most would have recommended. It was a co-worker who got me interested and while he has a lot of good advice, he also is a bit more liberal with quarantine and cycling rules, which is probably why there are still Nitrates in my tank. One other possibility I read about was that it might be a parasite from my snails, but hopefully someone might know. The end result might be him dying and i'm going to have to really start from complete scratch to make sure the full cycle happens but i would like not to lose him

attachment.php?attachmentid=41978&stc=1&d=1272218737.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=41976&stc=1&d=1272218737.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=41977&stc=1&d=1272218737.jpg

Attachments

Christopher Bowen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long does it usually take to go away? I just don't want to overmedicate, but if I should continue doses then I will.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would dose as the bottle directs for the first week and then slow down the treatment. Make sure you keep your water pristine at all times, that is crucial.

I also hope you realise that your puffer will eventually need a tank of 75G at the very LEAST.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom