Possibly Bloated Betta

Tschaksch

Reaction score
Hi,
i have had my betta fisf for about 6 months now and yesterday i noticed it had started to act strange(kind of floating on its side on the top or bottom of the tank moving mostly only its gills and constantly being bent).
I did some research and found that it might have a bloated digestive system, but im not sure.
Im trying to make sure it gets better si for the time being i moved him to another tank but im not sure if what im foing is right.
I also geve him a pee.
I hope someone can help and i thank you all for your attention!

Probably good to note that i used a test kit and the tanks NO3 and NO2 seem to be next to 0
The tanks GH KH and pH seem to be a bit to high but im trying my best to lover it using the sera hH/KH-minus

On the bottom of the tank only moving its gills.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
i have had my betta fisf for about 6 months now and yesterday i noticed it had started to act strange(kind of floating on its side on the top or bottom of the tank moving mostly only its gills and constantly being bent).
I did some research and found that it might have a bloated digestive system, but im not sure.
Im trying to make sure it gets better si for the time being i moved him to another tank but im not sure if what im foing is right.
I also geve him a pee.
I hope someone can help and i thank you all for your attention!

Probably good to note that i used a test kit and the tanks NO3 and NO2 seem to be next to 0
The tanks GH KH and pH seem to be a bit to high but im trying my best to lover it using the sera hH/KH-minus

On the bottom of the tank only moving its gills.
That fish looks like it has nitrate poisoning. If your kit is testing nitrates at 0 I suggest you get a new test kit.

Tschaksch

Reaction score
Can i ask how to decrese the nitrate levels than? Because i already did water changes 2-3 times per week.
Should i change the filter media? And should i keep him in the smaller tank for now or would he be better in the bigger one that has some nitrates which i now hope i can lower

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can i ask how to decrese the nitrate levels than? Because i already did water changes 2-3 times per week.
Should i change the filter media? And should i keep him in the smaller tank for now or would he be better in the bigger one that has some nitrates which i now hope i can lower
What test kit are you using? How old is the betta? How often do you normally change the water and how much water do you change each time? Check your filter media and make sure it's not clogged.

Last edited:

Tschaksch

Reaction score
You were right it might be nitrate poisoning, i ren 5 more tests now and it was my foult for looking at the test in bad lighting so i didnt notice the slight pink collor. It seems that the nitrite levels are around 20-25mg/L
I did some new water changes now and made sure that the tank he is in now has no nitrites and picked out all the pieces of any waste that i found in the main tank. I also lifted his filter ao that more air gets into the water.
Im using the sera quick test kit.
Its 4:31 in the morning here so i will go buy some moss balls and a hose to syphon out the rest of the waste. I hope that helps and whats most important is that i hope my betta can recover.
Im realy gratefull for your help
Whitou you i wouldnt have noticed the nitrate levels because i saw that they were fine and i did probably about a 80% watter change three weeks ago when i had to move the fish pfrom a city to a city and i also cleaned all of the gravel aswell as the decor.

Tschaksch

Reaction score
You were right it might be nitrate poisoning, i ren 5 more tests now and it was my foult for looking at the test in bad lighting so i didnt notice the slight pink collor. It seems that the nitrite levels are around 20-25mg/L
I did some new water changes now and made sure that the tank he is in now has no nitrites and picked out all the pieces of any waste that i found in the main tank. I also lifted his filter ao that more air gets into the water.
Its 4:31 in the morning here so i will go buy some moss balls and a hose to syphon out the rest of the waste. I hope that helps and whats most important is that i hope my betta can recover.
Whitou you i wouldnt have noticed the nitrate levels because i saw that they were fine and i did probably about a 80% watter change three weeks ago when i had to move the fish pfrom a city to a city and i also cleaned all of the gravel aswell as the decor.

How old is the betta? I got him in january but i dont know how old he was when i got him.
Usualy i do water changes 2 times a week about a 20% water change on a 20L fish tank(i think that is about 5 gallons)

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually bettas are around 6 months old when you get them in the store so probably close to a year by now.
Unfortunately completing the nitrogen cycle in freshwater is quite challenging and basically impossible in a tank that small. If it's one of those hexagon betta tanks with the undergravel filter you could crush up some pumice for the very bottom right above the filter and then put smooth gravel on top of that and over time it might help a bit. But doing regular water changes would be your best bet. Try to keep it around 20ppm and you would be fine long term.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
name-Tschaksch-schaksch, post: 4212348, member: 114790"]You were right it might be nitrate poisoning, i ren 5 more tests now and it was my foult for looking at the test in bad lighting so i didnt notice the slight pink collor. It seems that the nitrite levels are around 20-25mg/L

How old is the betta? I got him in january but i dont know how old he was when i got him.
Usualy i do water changes 2 times a week about a 20% water change on a 20L fish tank(i think that is about 5 gallons)[/QUOTE]
You said nitrites are 20 to 25 mg/l. Do you mean nitrites or nitrates? Those are two very different nitrogen compounds found in aquariums.
Aah, now I see what your problem probably started from. The fact that you completely cleaned, scrubbed and essentially restarted your aquarium is the problem. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? That is the process an aquarium goes through to grow the nitrifying bacteria it needs to process-or break down-waste (fish poop) into its various nitrogenous components (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). I think what happened when you moved and scrubbed everything, you destroyed the bacteria that had established in your tank and youe tank is now unable to fully process the nitrogen waste products and your betta was being poisoned. Your tank is cycling again. Here's some information about the nitrogen cycle you probably need to read: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
High nitrates or a large drop in nitrates in a tank can cause nitrate poisoning or nitrate shock in fish. Youe betta's symptoms and appearance (the rigid sideways curve of his body) strongly indicate nitrate poisoning. Two things you can do to try to help him-get a breeding net that you can fasten to the side of the tank near the surface and increase surface movement of the water. Put the betta in the breeder net and position it so the betta is as close to the surface as possible-2 inches or5 cm would be ideal. You have already helped by lifting the filter so it creates more surface movement. Even doing all this, he may not make it. He looks very sick. There's not much more you can do than these things but watch and see if the clean water and extra oxygen (from surface aggitation) help. Keep the tank lights off, and keep noise down for 48 to 72 hours. Test the water every day for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Nitrates don't have to be 0 mg/l but need to be less than 40. Ammonia and nitrites need to be 0 mg/l. Keep your tank temperature at about 78°F (26 C). Keep us posted on his condition. Good Luck!
Oh, also, feed him very little for the next few days (if he'll eat) until you know he's getting better.

Last edited:

Tschaksch

Reaction score
Im using a regular fish tamk shaped tank that by itsself doesnt have a filter.
I bought an additional sera 120 filter which was the smallest one that the pet store jad to offer so that i didnt take up evan more space

Tschaksch

Reaction score
name-Tschaksch-schaksch, post: 4212348, member: 114790"]You were right it might be nitrate poisoning, i ren 5 more tests now and it was my foult for looking at the test in bad lighting so i didnt notice the slight pink collor. It seems that the nitrite levels are around 20-25mg/L

Usualy i do water changes 2 times a week about a 20% water change on a 20L fish tank(i think that is about 5 gallons)
You said nitrites are 20 to 25 mg/l. Do you mean nitrites or nitrates? Those are two very different nitrogen compounds found in aquariums.
Aah, now I see what your problem probably started from. The fact that you completely cleaned, scrubbed and essentially restarted your aquarium is the problem. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? That is the process an aquarium goes through to grow the nitrifying bacteria it needs to process-or break down-waste (fish poop) into its various nitrogenous components (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). I think what happened when you moved and scrubbed everything, you destroyed the bacteria that had established in your tank and youe tank is now unable to fully process the nitrogen waste products and your betta was being poisoned. Your tank is cycling again. Here's some information about the nitrogen cycle you probably need to read: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
High nitrates or a large drop in nitrates in a tank can cause nitrate poisoning or nitrate shock in fish. Youe betta's symptoms and appearance (the rigid sideways curve of his body) strongly indicate nitrate poisoning. Two things you can do to try to help him-get a breeding net that you can fasten to the side of the tank near the surface and increase surface movement of the water. Put the betta in the breeder net and position it so the betta is as close to the surface as possible-2 inches or5 cm would be ideal. You have already helped by lifting the filter so it creates more surface movement. Even doing all this, he may not make it. He looks very sick. There's not much more you can do than these things but watch and see if the clean water and extra oxygen (from surface aggitation) help. Keep the tank lights off, and keep noise down for 48 to 72 hours. Test the water every day for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Nitrates don't have to be 0 mg/l but need to be less than 40. Ammonia and nitrites need to be 0 mg/l. Keep your tank temperature at about 78°F (26 C). Keep us posted on his condition. Good Luck!
Oh, also, feed him very little for the next few days (if he'll eat) until you know he's getting better.[/QUOTE]

Im realy realy thankful for your help! I do know abput the cycle but sadly not enough, i will read the link that you have sent. When i was vleaning the tank i had the underatanding that the bacteria is set in the filter media and therefor i mostly didnt touch the filter when cleaning. I asumed that that would be enough for the small tank i have but sadly i was aperently quite wrong...

LadyArtemis

Valued Member
Reaction score
You can also use seachem prime as your water conditioner if you don’t already and it will help bind up some of the ammonia and nitrite temporarily while the bene bac builds up. Dose enough to treat the tank volume daily for a week or so even if you don’t do a water change that day.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can also use seachem prime as your water conditioner if you don’t already and it will help bind up some of the ammonia and nitrite temporarily while the bene bac builds up. Dose enough to treat the tank volume daily for a week or so even if you don’t do a water change that day.
Prime only needs to be dosed every 48 hours.

Tschaksch

Reaction score
Im happy to say that it seems that my fish is starting to look better bit i still have to wait a bit longer and see how it all ends.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im happy to say that it seems that my fish is starting to look better bit i still have to wait a bit longer and see how it all ends.
That's great news! Good work! He does look like he's feeling better. Keep doing 25%-50% water changes every week to keep his water clean.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom