Possible white poop (maybe stringy?) - should I dose PraziPro just in case?

eirynne

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI all! I got my fish on Oct 1st (7 praecox rainbows, 2 bolivian rams, 1 bristlenose pleco). So far the pleco, rainbows and 1 ram seem interested in food while the other ram seems to be more and more elusive (I've seen him eat, but rarely & he seems to have a sunken belly but I am having trouble figuring out if it is getting better or worse). I've started noticing some of the rainbows have white poop (sometimes thick, sometimes thin, but have not seen thin with thicker parts), others have normal thick brown poop, and I've never seen the rams poop. Do you think a few of the rainbows and the ram could possibly have parasites and it would be worth doing a dose of PraziPro to see if it would help (or at least not hurt)? Or is there another medication you would recommend? Or do nothing? I've been doing 30% water changes every 4 to 5 days w/ gravel vac, pH 7.4, soft water (low Kh - maintain pH with crushed coral), ammonia/nitrite/nitrate at 0/0/25. I'm pretty sure my water quality is ok because my pleco came home with torn fins & I've seen them start to regrow... but you never know I guess.

I have not seen any flashing but I'm also pretty new to the hobby so maybe I am missing something.

I feed them a mixture of hikarI pellets, mysis shrimp, and blood worms. The shrimp/blood worms are soaked in Garlic Guard 2ish times a week.

I don't have any pictures of the rainbowfish poop but I've attached some photos of the ram I'm concerned about. One thing to note is that he is smaller than my other ram and I've noticed her chasing him a bit... but he stands up to her sometimes & I haven't seen any damage (there is one horrible blurry picture that sort of shows the size difference between the rams - he is left, she is right).

Thanks in advance!

Just as a side note: I didn't use the emergency template because I'm not sure if there is an emergency (just looking for advice) but I will fill it out if anyone needs!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think I would treat with a dewormer. Looks reminiscent of my camallanus infestation. I had to do 3 treatments to get possible second generation worms.

If you are still worried or don't see worms or improvement, you could also dose PraziPro and feed Metronidazole in two weeks. That would take care if it was anything else besides worms.

OP
eirynne

eirynne

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
angelcraze said:
I think I would treat with a dewormer. Looks reminiscent of my camallanus infestation. I had to do 3 treatments to get possible second generation worms.

If you are still worried or don't see worms or improvement, you could also dose PraziPro and feed Metronidazole in two weeks. That would take care if it was anything else besides worms.
Is there a dewormer you would recommend? Will dosing my tank affect my microbiome?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, it won't affect your biological bacteria since it is a dewormer, it doesn't combat bacteria at all. I recommend Levamisole in the water, or Fenbendazole in the food or both in separate treatments. I got Thomas Lab fishbendazole. Fenbendazole goes a lot further in food, but you have to make sure all the fish eat it. For fish that aren't still eating, Levamisole (or flubendazole) is absorbed thru the skin in the water to ensure all fish are treated.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom