Possible water supply contamination

Status
Not open for further replies.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The EPA... the Environmental Protection Agency... "accidentally" contaminated a river with millions of gallons of toxic waste?

I need to read this just to marvel at the inefficiency of government agencies. Because that... is literally their job, to ensure these things don't happen.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know! I was horrified...way to go with the ineptitude guys you had one job to do.

Not to mention that this river flows to a lake that serves as the water surplus for a fairly large area.

Jsigmo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If this was done by anyone else, they'd be fined heavily, and face jail sentences. No kidding.

This really is a monumental disaster. The pollution unleashed is almost unimaginable. The damage will be felt for generations.

Further, it was covered up and not reported immediately as required by EPA's own rules.

All of this is the kind of thing that usually results in jail sentences and huge fines. I wonder if EPA will fine itself and throw some of the higher-ups in jail the way they would if this was a corporation at fault.

Here's a little light reading for anyone interested. Pay special attention to the Case Examples in chapter 2, starting on page 2-6. A company I worked for was a victim of this same type of raid. It basically ruined the company and none of the allegations had any basis in fact.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwjVleC3h6PHAhXJK4gKHdEdAkA&url=http://www.wlf.org/upload/WLF%20timeline.pdf&ei=o_rKVZW4OcnXoATRu4iABA&usg=AFQjCNG6eEXlUH8Dnc_2yHp_GGUM9sAKtA&sig2=T_XtylUYxdikKICxNrdZlQ&bvm=bv.99804247,d.cGU&cad=rja

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Two AZ residents were actually defending the EPA saying it was their town (near the mine) that wouldn't let the EPA name the mine a "super" something or other to get "appropriate funding" for the project.

I dunno. I'm kind of thinking that if you can't get the $$ to do something right, wait until you can afford to do it right before you do anything to destroy the entire southwestern quadrant of the US. Because the ripples from this are not going to end at that one river.

We're already having a water crisis. So really?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think that they would not classify it as a Super Fund site (probably not contaminated enough) so the theory is the EPA intentionally contaminated it so that it would now be considered a Super Fund site and be eligible for millions of federal dollars to clean it up.

I do not know if this is true or just a conspiracy theory, but whatever it is...it's a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom