Possible to overfeed mystery snail?

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I put a slice of zucchini in my mystery snail's tank yesterday and she took a couple of bites out of it but mostly ignored it. I left it overnight and when I got up this morning all that was left was a tiny sliver. She appears to be sound asleep under the driftwood, as who wouldn't be after a feast like that. Is this normal though? Should I give her tiny amounts from now on so she can't do this again? Is it safe for a mystery snail to eat that much? I keep looking through the tank thinking that she couldn't have eaten that much and a piece must be lodged somewhere but I haven't found it yet.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't think they would overeat, but they do seem to prefer their veg a little softer. My guess is when she wakes up you might need to follow her around with a turkey baster to pick up all that snail poop though. There is a lot of water in squash so I really wouldn't worry about it. Alison

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LOL! I have seen her poop once before but I've never seen her eat this much veg in so short a time. I may well need to pull out the turkey baster!

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think you can over feed snails personally, they seem to stop when they're full. Yours must have been really up for zuchini!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom