Possible To Mix Live Rock Types?

bhcaaron
Is it possible to mix live rock types without it becoming a hazard to themselves or other aquarium life?

sgould
Don't see why not. What did you have in mind?

bhcaaron
Don't see why not. What did you have in mind?

Well, remember, I'm brand new to all of this. I'm barely at the reading level of my planning . I had just read that, though there are some live rock that are better than others, they each have predominant variations of color . So I thought perhaps I could mix it up and have more color to stare at later in the aquarium's life. Simple, I know, but, sometimes simple is elegant, dontcha think?

des
yeah I have indonision live rock and fijI live rock

bhcaaron
yeah I have Indonesian live rock and FijI live rock

Do you have pictures of it that I might see?

des
yeah il get some 4ya. tbh its hard to tell the difference now as there colours have slowly changed and are quite similar

Miss Mouse
I've mixed some tonga branch and fiji..the branch stuff is cool! it had bluey green coraline on it althought he purple has grown over it now >

bhcaaron
I've mixed some tonga branch and fiji..the branch stuff is cool! it had bluey green coraline on it althought he purple has grown over it now >

Is it possible to keep the colors separate without any of them overgrowing each other? If not, I may not want fijI rock since they all seem to be purple-ish. Its beautiful, but, I'd rather have a mix of color.

leximommy
maybe if you got different types of rocks and kept a little nook type space between them..... (good hiding place for the fish also...)

bhcaaron
maybe if you got different types of rocks and kept a little nook type space between them..... (good hiding place for the fish also...)

I'm hoping to have nooks and caves, but, wouldn't the algae or bacteria or whatever makes those colors travel in the water anyway? Or do they only travel from rock to rock?

leximommy
hmmm....I dunno....ill try and find out.... lol now I'm gonna have dreams about rocks! lol

bhcaaron
Try dreaming of something softer, like the water. Just don't drown lol

bhcaaron
OK, so now I know I can mix them. I even read that buying the same kind of rock from different sources is good to maximize the kinds of bacteria in your tank. So I guess buying a little of different types will be great.

HOWEVER...

I also read that having base rock is necessary since those will be your bigger rocks that will support everything else. Is this right? I thought base rock was just a cheaper alternative. Does anybody know about this?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaticBrandon
Replies
Views
Slug
Replies
Views
JakeTeque
Replies
Views