Possible To Keep Tiger Barbs And Rams Together?

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all,

I have a 40 gallon planted tank with 6 tiger barbs. 1st off I wont be doing anything else to it until I know which plants are doing well, which aren't, and things are more established.

Down the road though, I would really like to own a blue ram, but know absolutely nothing about them.

Would it be possible to own this fish in this tank? Do you need to have multiple rams for them to be happy?

Any insight or references are appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Sean Garland

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't. Tiger barbs would annoy and harass the rams. Rams have a big bark but no bite, they really are quite fragile and need very docile tank mates to be very successful. Just cuz you can get them to live together, wouldn't make it an ideal match up.
I would try rasboras or small tetras, since they prefer acidic water and they occupy the same mid level of tank like tiger barbs.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Brooklyn Vasquez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I completely agree with Kasshan I wouldn't do tiger barbs with rams they need to be in their own tank. You can put it with plants and I suggest a bit more tiger barbs maybe 8 if you can as they are schooling fish and they will do better as well as their activity too (meaning that they won't hide as often as well as being very social.

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Brooklyn Vasquez said:
I completely agree with Kasshan I wouldn't do tiger barbs with rams they need to be in their own tank. You can put it with plants and I suggest a bit more tiger barbs maybe 8 if you can as they are schooling fish and they will do better as well as their activity too (meaning that they won't hide as often as well as being very social.
The Barbs I've had for 5 or 6 months. They school, they're active, super social, not hiding. Not worried about the barbs. They are doing well.

However, definitely a no go on the rams it sounds like!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Both fish IMO are fish that should be stocked as the #1 fish in its tank. Possibly the only type of fish in their tank .
I have no clue if they are compatible water wise but even if so I don't see the 2 of them hanging out together long ?

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
coralbandit said:
Both fish IMO are fish that should be stocked as the #1 fish in its tank. Possibly the only type of fish in their tank .
I have no clue if they are compatible water wise but even if so I don't see the 2 of them hanging out together long ?
Fair. I had success keeping them with rainbows, but I agree, the barbs seem to need their own space. Will probably at least add some sort of algae/film eater down the road.

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try kribensis, they are dwarf cichlids about the same size as rams, but they a lot more robust

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But if the kribs breed it will be a war zone. He wanted happy fish.

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nah. Eventually I will get a 125 gallon, which is mostly planned out for multiple different rainbows, blue eyes included. Seems like the Rams would be more suited for that tank.

I mainly set up this tank to test the Walstad theory, and see how well I can maintain a planted tank before I convert/set up others. "Keeping fish with my plants" sort of thing. Would have been cool to add a ram. Sounds like that's not a good idea. No big deal

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neolamprologus brichardi have blue eyes and relatively small, but huge compared to a ram. They like hard alkali water. If you did a neutral PH tank they might work, just never breed (they are harem breeders and very prolific, you will have to cull mercilessly). I have buddy that uses them as feeders for his Oscar.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom