Possible tankmates?

tkfury
I've been trying to come up with differant stocking ideas that might spark even a tiny bit of interest for a friend. So far I've had no luck what so ever but its still worth a shot. Most likely have to go with a 55g/75g+ but is there any chance that a Red Tail Shark would do "well" with a school or two of tiger barbs (regular and green), odessa barbs (still looking up infomation on 'em) and perhaps a bristlenose pleco (I'm assuming cories and otos are pretty much too small and peaceful to really be a good idea)?

(Techincally the tank will still be "mine" - I know better than to just throw a bunch of fish at someone who finds a pile of fish sticks more appealing.)

Blub
Hi!

Not sure a BN would be able to hold his own with tigers. An RTBS would probably be OK.

Johawk
I have 8 tiger barbs and 1 red tailed shark in my 29 gallon and they all get along. The only time I see any aggression is during feeding sometimes. The shark seems to be the more aggressive, chasing the barbs around the tank espesially when I feed them shrimp.

tkfury
I wasn't so sure about the pleco. I know whatever tank I am able to set up next I want to dive right into live plants - I keep hearing that some plecos can be rather distructive with plants but I can't say I've done much research to find out weither or not the bristlenose falls into that category.

Is there by any chance gouramis might beable to hold their own against the barbs and shark? Dwarves would probably have a hard time, if not any chance at all I'd figure but what about the larger 4-6" ones? (If they do, probably just look into one or maybe a trio if room allows for 1m/2f.)

I wonder, is there perhaps any chance of having too many barbs? I'd assuming following the 1"/1g rule helps but given the space, would say 12 tiger barbs intimidate the RTS enough so that the shark wouldn't have a chance? Or perhaps in larger numbers it may be easier to make sure all the barbs are getting food regardless on how aggressive the shark gets at feeding time?

Blub
Hi!

I wouldn't risk it with gouramis. 12 Tiger barbs should be fine, as long as you snap the bottom wafer to 3-4 pieces so RTBS gets some. Kribensis (Kribs) might work.

tkfury
I think I'll just stick with tiger barbs and a RTS for now, to stay on the safe side as well as not to get my hopes up too high if I'm not able to go with the plan. I'm about ready to try and find new homes for my current fish just so I can try the tiger barbs (I love all my fishies and as many times as I keep threatening my one killifish, I don't think I could ever just get rid of them).

Thanks a lot ^_^

Blub
I think I'll just stick with tiger barbs and a RTS for now, to stay on the safe side as well as not to get my hopes up too high if I'm not able to go with the plan. I'm about ready to try and find new homes for my current fish just so I can try the tiger barbs (I love all my fishies and as many times as I keep threatening my one killifish, I don't think I could ever just get rid of them).
Hi!

OK - but Kribs would easily be able to hold their own. They're an African cichlid.

Miss Fish
My pleco was king of our tank and 10cm red tail shark. He was the only fish who wasn't afraid of him. Unless they crossed paths they pretty much left each other alone.
Our shark is chasing the mollies around and really giving them a scare. We might have to trade him in for a smaller version.

Jewels
RE:Happy redtailed sharks

HI There,
My advice on Redtailed Sharks is from (accidental) experience. My brother had a lovely cave-laden rock with 2 caves that fish can swim through, which he gave me when he moved interstate. I have 2 Redtailed Sharks, one is a bit bigger than the other....and they literally spend all day chasing each other in and out of these caves! The favorites are the 2 that can be swam through, where they play chasies in constant circles! As a result they leave everybody else, even my Discus, alone.
Maybe you could go cavey rock shopping instead, and get your large shark an evenly sized buddy. That is, if you have the room in your tank, because a large rock will displace a fair bit of water. It also will give any littlies a hiding place..... Cheers Jewels

Larry
At first my redtail shark chased my tiger barbs when ever they crossed his path, but then he kept them rounded up in a corner and when they wound try to swim around the aquarium he would continue to chase them relentlessly. I also had a red male betta that he chased in the same fashion and the betta had to hide behind plants to be left alone by the shark. I lost this shark to disease.

My new shark gets alone well my newly stocked 29 gallon tank with 4 Large Angel fish and a small catfish. I guess it depends on the temperment of the particular fish?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishproblem
Top Bottom