Possible tankmates for RTBS in 40g breeder???

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im just about ready to stock my 40g breeder. I have kept RTBS in the past and haven't had one for a couple years now and I want one again. I find them interesting and beautiful. I know a 55 is recommended minimum size, but I feel the 40 breeder will work given the footprint of the tank. I don't have the space for a 55 anymore. I am ok with just the shark alone, which is probably the best case scenario. But can I add anything besides tiger barb, no cories, and nothing larger than the RTBS (angelfish, parrots). I was thinking Harlequin Rasbora and a single female betta but not sure that is a great idea. Now I am leaning towards a single female betta and the RTBS, worked out in a community tank in the past but my shark was still small and my betta was fearless. Thoughts? Also, I have a 30 gallon with 2 german rams and 10 rummynose tetra with 2 EHEIM 2215 canisters for filtration. I have 2 Eheim 2213 canister filters available as well. I was going to put the 2213s on the 30 gallon and the 2215s on the 40 breeder. But assuming my bioload is going to be so little on the 40 breeder and with the possibility of a female betta and them not being crazy about current, maybe the 2213s on the 40 breeder would be better. Thoughts? Please do not pull any punches lol, Thanks

OP
andy305mia

andy305mia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Treestone said:
RTBS can get very boisterous when they get older so i would only go robust fish like smaller convict sized cichlids (not angelfish), this site explains it well
[/QUOTE
I was considering a pair of convicts as well perhaps 2 females. Would that work? I thought it would be a little tight for a breeding pair and the shark my be at risk when they spawn. The thing with the betta is, if it doesn't work I can accommodate her, if the convicts and rtbs work I'm stuck. I guess I can always return them. Thanks

Treestone

Reaction score
Instead of convicts which may get far too aggressive and breed so rapidly, you'll have trouble getting rid of them go for rainbow cichlids (very hardy, yet not so aggressive, so your best bet ), or Cryptoheros nanoluteus (pretty much a yellow, more peaceful convict yet less hardy than the rainbow cichlid ) those are the two that immediately come to mind. A female betta really wouldn't suite that tank but may work with the rams.

New Threads