possible tank mates?

1. kitty Initiate Member

i currently have 4 green swordtails and one male Betta in my tank.
    they all get along great and even play with each other.
    my uncle is moving and he offered me his red tail shark.
    i was wondering if you think that the shark would get along ok with my Betta and swordtails?

2. kennytheshark Initiate Member

Hi Kitty,

I am a beginner myself, but my swordtails and beta got along fine with my redtail shark. I love the red tail sharks, but just make sure that when you put him in the tank he has his own place to hide. My shark suffered a tragic death with the filter and now I know better. Good Luck! ;D

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Hi Kitty! Welcome to FishLore! I've never had a red tail shark, but kennytheshark's experience was a good one, so maybe it will be fine. How big is your tank? That will have a lot to do with it.

4. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ya i realy need to know ur tank size b/c i have a red tail shark and a betta togethr and they get along fine but u probly need at least a ten gallon for a red tail but im not sure bout a sword tail they might get picked on if the shark is already full grown mine doesnt bother any fish b/c i think its the angels hes afrid of but idk the tank size would help if u have some caves for the red tail youll be great b/c mine stays at the botom and middle of tank id say go ahead and get the shark and just keep an eye on it and if u c it pick on ur swordtail get rid of it but since thers 4 u sohuld be ok

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

Its fairly doubtful the Red-tail is fully grown, they grow fairly slowly and would need at least 10 gal. They are fairly active and like to claim the tank as their own. The swordtails do pretty well with Red-tails. My Red-tail only gets aggressive at feeding times where he likes to to claim the bottom food but otherwise don't mind their company

6. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

wow your redtail its flake food mine just cleans stuff (very helpful) and likes the bottom and middle b/c thers cover there i guess if theres bigger fish in the tank ther very peacful fish i dont think they grow that slow mines bout 2 months old and hes arleady filling out and bout 3 inches i bought him at 1 inch

7. Jason Well Known Member Member

I think they'll get to about 13cm or 5 in max but apparently grow to about 20cm or 8in in te wild