Possible Tank Loadout

Size of tank

• 29g

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 55g

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters
ZaneGreay
So I am new to aquariums and have been doing a lot of research, but I was curious of what other people thought of my ideas for a planted tank I want to do. I have some fish that most people don't commonly put together but I have seen it done. So it's not totally unheard of.

Here is what I am thinking and all that I have so far are working great together in a 10g
1. One Half Moon male Betta
2. Four glass cats
3. Three bristlenose plecos

Now comes what I want to add and the main reasons I'm not sure.

1. Four more glass cats
2. Eight ember tetras
3. Two otocinclus catfish
And last but not least and my main concern and something I will have to take caution adding with my Betta is possibly two German blue Rams a male and female. Now all of them will be added slowly and gauged to make sure they get along before the next fish will be added.

But on to my main questions! Beside the thoughts on the combo loadout is.

1. Should I use a 29 gallon or 55g?

2 should I use one hob filter that can do the whole tank or two smaller ones, Eg using a fluval 70 vs 2 fluval 30s or Use a sump or canister?

sorry for rambling lol and many thanks ahead of time for your advice and answers.

georgelee1000
Three Bristlenose should NOT be in a 10 gal tbh. 1 will barely fit.

29 gal hob should be alright. 55 gal I would do a canister. AI'm for 10x gph.

Jocelyn Adelman
For the 3 bristle I would go with the 55. Also the schools will appear nicer vs the shorter length of the 29.

Keep in mind both these are deeper tanks... the filtration needed may not be suitable for the betta

ZaneGreay
Three Bristlenose should NOT be in a 10 gal tbh. 1 will barely fit.

Even if the bristlenose are about .5"?

For the 3 bristle I would go with the 55. Also the schools will appear nicer vs the shorter length of the 29.

Keep in mind both these are deeper tanks... the filtration needed may not be suitable for the betta

Why would the filtration not be suitable for the Betta? I thought they liked calmer waters with low movement. Would building a sump be better?

29 gal hob should be alright. 55 gal I would do a canister. AI'm for 10x gph.

550 gph? That's seems like overkill. isn't it? I read somewhere else you only need 6x. Is it because of how many fish I want and their bioload?

georgelee1000
ZaneGreay
They do grow lolll.

I understand that but the lifespan is 5+ years and I'm planning to move them to a larger tank before years end so is it really bad that they are in a 10g? Do they grow fast? Or is it because of their bioload?

georgelee1000
550 gph? That's seems like overkill. isn't it? I read somewhere else you only need 6x. Is it because of how many fish I want and their bioload?

My 29 gal has 400gph in total filtration. I have mine tank overstock quite a bit. But it never hurts to overfilter.

ZaneGreay
My 29 gal has 400gph in total filtration. I have mine tank overstock quite a bit. But it never hurts to overfilter.

Ok good to know! If I used a 55 gallon is there any canister you would recommend? Or would a sump be better?

Accents
They do have a very heavy bioload, and although there is plenty of time to move it, it's (imo) better to just get the full sized tank if possible. Additionally, are the glass cats kryptopterus? Those are schooling fish, very shy, and do best in a heavily planted low-key light tank according to my previous research. To try should be in groups of 6+ and in a much larger tank than 10 gallons. Although you are adding more later, I'm worried about them with betta. I've heard they get stressed very easily. Additionaly, there are two types and the larger kind gets to around 6". I think you should also get more ottos. Maybe you should add the other fish and keep the betta in the 10? I feel like it would do better there.

ZaneGreay
They do have a very heavy bioload, and although there is plenty of time to move it, it's (imo) better to just get the full sized tank if possible. Additionally, are the glass cats kryptopterus? Those are schooling fish, very shy, and do best in a heavily planted low-key light tank according to my previous research. To try should be in groups of 6+ and in a much larger tank than 10 gallons. Although you are adding more later, I'm worried about them with betta. I've heard they get stressed very easily. Additionaly, there are two types and the larger kind gets to around 6". I think you should also get more ottos.

The two kinds of cats are glass and ghost which is kinda interchanged by people who think they are the same or so I have read and if I remember correctly I have glass cats not the larger which or the ghost cats and so far the Betta loves being under the little ledge I have set up for them and doesn't chase them at all. Or at least from what I've seen and I watch my tank a lot I love water and always wanted an aquarium but moving as much as I did it was never possible but now that I have bought my house I want a whole aquarium room lol. But misses says I can get a 55 gallon to keep in the house and I have to redo the basement to keep more lol

max h
Your best option is a 4 ft tank, forget the 55 and go with a 75 gallon. a &% gallon is basically 6" wider then the 55 and adds a lot of options for you. I prefer canister filters and on my tanks even with canister filters I'm at around 10x water turnover. My 150 gallon tank has a combined rate of 1400 gph with 2 filters.

aosuna11
Welcome to the hobby-
A 55 gal is a must for 3 BN plecos, they produce a lot of waste throughout their life so bigger is better.
The 8 glass cats would work
The ember tetras would work, you could go for a bigger school if you wanted
I don't suggest Otos as they need a group of 6+, and they need to be fed too after they clean up your algae, and your BN might take care of it(your algae) already
The betta and rams however, both need higher temps in the 80+ region. Bettas are hardy, but some people have issues with Rams. I would keep the betta alone in the 10 gallon you have now.

Jocelyn Adelman
Late to the party sorry, but seems the questions have been answered.
For reference I had 3 bristlenose in a 38gal, and a 40b, they got moved quickly... and moving a bristlenose is a pain... why? There is not really enough floor space for their own area with the base of the 29 you are considering.

Filtration- if I’m going with hobs I aI'm for 10x turnover. Canisters I aI'm for 5x. Both of these would be a lot of flow for the betta, they aren’t the strongest swimmers and if he gets caught to the bottom it will be hard for him to get back up...

for the betta and the glass cats might want to consider a 20long, Same footprint as the 29, just shorter. (Assuming they are temp compatible)

As for the go for 75 comment... my two favorite tank sizes are 40b and 75.... overall taller and narrow tanks make proper filtration tricky in order to get the movement at the bottom... otherwise the bottom becomes a stale area. Now, take out the betta, and you can get filters that really move

Bristlenose also prefer cooler temps then bettas, not sure about the cats...

A_School_of_Sharks
To be fair, Ive had bettas thrive in temps below 80*F. I honestly think planning around that temperature requirement for Bettas may be a bit over precautionary.

As for the Rams, I have had poor experiences mixing Rams and Bettas together...

Back when I was a beginner, I stocked a peaceful community tank with a single betta and livebearers within a planted 30 gallon tank. This did fine for a few months, but later I decided to add two German Blue Rams into the tank. The Betta did nothing but chase and nip them. At the time, I decided to leave them all in there overnight to see if the Betta would calm down by the next day. When I woke up in the morning, I found a dead German Blue Ram with missing fins, and the second Ram dead outside the tank on the floor.

Long story short, be cautious when mixing rams and Bettas together...

ZaneGreay
To be fair, Ive had bettas thrive in temps below 80*F. I honestly think planning around that temperature requirement for Bettas may be a bit over precautionary.

As for the Rams, I have had poor experiences mixing Rams and Bettas together...

Back when I was a beginner, I stocked a peaceful community tank with a single betta and livebearers within a planted 30 gallon tank. This did fine for a few months, but later I decided to add two German Blue Rams into the tank. The Betta did nothing but chase and nip them. At the time, I decided to leave them all in there overnight to see if the Betta would calm down by the next day. When I woke up in the morning, I found a dead German Blue Ram with missing fins, and the second Ram dead outside the tank on the floor.

Long story short, be cautious when mixing rams and Bettas together...

I hate hearing stories like that, and I am very sorry to hear that. I am hoping I am not going to have a similar experience I just received my 55 from a friend and two super peaceful rams, maybe a mating pair idk if I will get that lucky lol, so I am hoping that everything will be fine but if worst come to worst and I see chasing then my Betta will be kept in a 10 on his own maybe with something else or just in a planted by himself

Carbeo
55 bc ur going to want a bigger tank anyway. It's how it goes.

aosuna11
I hate hearing stories like that, and I am very sorry to hear that. I am hoping I am not going to have a similar experience I just received my 55 from a friend and two super peaceful rams, maybe a mating pair idk if I will get that lucky lol, so I am hoping that everything will be fine but if worst come to worst and I see chasing then my Betta will be kept in a 10 on his own maybe with something else or just in a planted by himself
Yes keeping the betta by himself is probably the best choice, and yes bettas are notoriusly hardy of temps, mine is in 78F waters with neons, but 80 is just the recommended.

georgelee1000
I keep mine at 25C. He seems happy. Too high of a temperature will speed up their metabolism and end up having a shorter lifespan.

Hunter1
I agree with the posts suggesting keeping the betta in the 10.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SeattleRoy
Replies
Views
Ulu
Replies
Views
sammJack
Replies
Views