Possible stocklist! 20 Gallon Tank

1. njc Initiate Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of fishkeeping - although growing up we had a few fish (but slowly everything died one way or another).

I'm researching what to put in my 20g tank, and these are fish that I like and am considering getting. (obviously not all of them!! Simply possibilities - it will change depending on whats available at the LFS and in Australia and prices)

Glassfish - school of 5 or 6
    Another school of 5 or 6 - either cardinal tetras, bloodfin tetras, cherry barbs, livebearers or guppys.
    I don't want to breed - will 6 male guppys or 6 male livebearers be happy in a group of purely males?

Corydoras catfish - 3

Bristlenose - 1

Dwarf gourami - 1
    Pearl gourami - 1
    Platy - 1
    Swordtail - 1

Are the above 4 happy in just single groups? I'm not going to get all of them as the tank is too small - those are just ones I like and would consider getting one of them.

So I'm considering 2 small schools (glassfish + another group); corys; bristlenose and one of the fish in the last list? Does that sound ok or overstocked?

Will the above list get along well?

Do you have any other suggestions for colourful fish that are difficult to kill?

Thanks!!! :;hi1

2. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

WELCOME TO FISHLORE, njc! :;hi2

Your options looks nice. The schooling fish, I'd advise getting Cherry Barbs. Cories prefer to be in a group of 6-7. I don't have much experience in the bristlenose so wait till an experienced member in them to swing by soon. You could get by with a Dwarf Gourami, that's what I'd choose.

All the above is IMOO. I'm sure other members will come soon to share their opinions. Best of luck! :;hf

3. kacie Member Member

Hi, Stocking list looks good. In 20g I would choose one larger school with 6 cories (see if you can find pygmy variety) and 3 ottos (added later if you have algae issues) and I'd go for a pair of dwarf cichlids ( apistos, rams, kribs, keyholes, or darios).

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'd go with 4 cories, 6 cherry barbs or cardinal tetras, and 3 male guppies. I've read that more than 3 male guppies get aggressive. I have 3 in my 30g, and they do fine.