Possible Splinter?

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Today I noticed my ranchu, Honey, had a couple sores on her side. My mom said it definitely wasn’t there in the morning, so this happened in the roughly four hours between her going to work and me coming home.
BDD22A5B-5B3C-49A2-A0F8-B3AEF7B00BE2.jpeg

I put some peroxide on the sores and did a water change, but during the water change I noticed a little piece of wood on the bottom of the tank. I have one piece of real driftwood in with them, and now I’m worried that she ran into it hard enough to knock off a piece.
AEB37F81-11EA-4A7F-8C24-10FC1B8A4929.jpeg

F7DB37B2-1248-478A-8DC7-1005798BC780.jpeg

So now I’m worried she might have a splinter, or had one that already fell out. If she did get poked with a piece of wood, would that cause infection? Should I just wait and see what happens, or is there something I should be treating with now to prevent that?

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wash your hands off very well after handling fish with wounds like this.

I suppose it's possible for a goldfish to injure itself like this - but I think it's sort of unlikely.

I would watch it. If it heals - good... If more sores break out, it might be a sign of worse problems that need attention.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve had other goldfish injure themselves before, but she’s always been very careful and I’ve done everything I can to make the tank safe. But it’s definitely possible and I’ve seen it before, so I’m pretty sure it’s an injury and not a sign of something worse especially since it appeared so suddenly. I’ll watch it closely and make sure she doesn’t have any other symptoms, thought.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have other goldfish with her that don’t have any sores?

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think I’m inclined to agree it’s injury from the driftwood.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So going back to my original question, Since it’s probably an injury caused by getting poked by wood, I should be taking any specific precautions for preventing infection? Is there any way to check and make sure that there’s no wood still stuck in her?

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is from tonight:
61977612-8757-4672-8882-03793B4673D0.jpeg

The sore in the middle of her side is totally gone, so now she just has the one closer to her head. That’s the one I was most worried about, though, because it looks like it could be a puncture. Still, this is an improvement over yesterday!

Quinn_Lamb98

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The best way to prevent an infection is to have very good water quality. I would do another water change, as large as you can. What size of a tank are they in? I would do a 50-75% water change every other day and a couple days after the sore disappears and continue to keep an eye on it.

Its hard to say whether the one that is left has improved or not. It does look less red, but the lighting is drastically different, so....

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They’re in a 55 gallon tank that’s been running for almost three years now. Ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, nitrates are around 20. I usually do water changes once a week but I’ll start doing them every other day until it heals. I think it does look less red today, even under the brighter lighting (she didn’t want to hold still for the picture so that was the best I could get!).

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They’re in a 55 gallon tank that’s been running for almost three years now. Ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, nitrates are around 20. I usually do water changes once a week but I’ll start doing them every other day until it heals. I think it does look less red today, even under the brighter lighting (she didn’t want to hold still for the picture so that was the best I could get!).
I think you did pretty good! I’ve tried to take a picture of a flopping fish before and it ain’t easy!

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well thank you! I’ve had some fish that don’t mind getting their picture taken, but she’s not one of them!

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Good (and surprising) news:
CAEF5323-E8D7-4034-BE42-545C80EF6011.jpeg

163581DF-DD49-4E7C-87F4-BA771DDCDD5E.jpeg

Honey is healed! If you look very closely, there’s still a tiny bit of red, but I’m amazed at how quickly she’s improved. I’ll continue watching her and doing more frequent water changes, but if she keeps healing this fast I think she’ll be fully recovered in a couple days!

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh my!!! How cute that you can hold her like that I wish we can cuddle our pet fish but in the second thought it would be some what slimy and smells fishy ha ha Glad she's recovering fast!

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@rhyan: She doesn’t like being handled but I’ve had other goldfish that didn’t mind it at all! And it’s not as slimy and smelly as you’d think, just a bit wet when they decide to splash you!

@Sheldon13: Thank you, but I think she must have super-healing or something! Lol

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@LilBlub I once tried to scoop out my betta to transfer it to a smaller container because I'll be doing a partial water change (I'm lazy to use the fish net right above his tank and also I want to lessen the use of it to avoid fin damage) but he's so fast that he darts away from different direction so I leave him inside his tank while I clean it, he never minds it he's just watching me cleaning it. Are they scary to hold? Do they flail a lot?

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Honey tends to flail around a bit, but you just hold them firmly and they eventually relax. I actually trained my old goldfish, Pumpkin, to be more relaxed when being picked up by getting him to associate my hands with food. You start by hand-feeding them, and eventually they’ll let you pet them and hold them. I’m working on that with my new ranchu, Clementine. Honey is very skittish for some reason and never caught on to the whole training thing.

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wish I could train mine like that but I'm afraid that it's not a good idea when it comes to bettas. Well I hope Honey continues to recover and avoid bumping again on anything.

Top Bottom