Possible Sick Discus - Need Second Opinions Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Lucyn, Jun 18, 2019.

1. LucynValued MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 125 Gallons
    How long has the tank been running? 3 Months
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? 3, 700 Watts total
    What is the water temperature? 84-85F
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    5 Discus, 1 Yoyo Loach
    Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Every other day
    How much of the water do you change? 50%
    What do you use to treat your water? Prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate as well, change filter floss every week

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? Both strips and liquid
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate:<5
    pH:Test strips say 6.2, liquid says 7.4 lol

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? 3-5 times a day
    How much do you feed your fish? however much they can eat in a minute
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? I feed a variety of around a dozen different foods
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? yes and I pre-rinse

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? Around 2 months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Last week
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Hiding, eating but not excited, lazy
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He's always been like this

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
    I'm not confident if my fish is sick or not, I'm thinking if he is, it's some sort of internal parasite since nothing is viable externally. One day I noticed the poop wasn't white, but it was clear and looked like snail eggs, which I do have quite a lot of. I noticed he eats during feeding time, but not anything like the other 4, the other 4 are very rambunctious. It looks like he doesn't mind weather he eats or not, maybe getting a few bites in here and there. Tends to hide quite a lot, more than the other fish. Should I run a cycle of prazipro? It also seems as if he's at the bottom of the hierarchy in my Discus, least aggressive, most timid. He was the last Discus I bought, but I've had the guy around a month at most later than the rest. he acted similar like this to when I got him, but I thought maybe he was just having a hard time acclimating to my parameters, but that doesn't seem the case.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  2. LadyArtemisValued MemberMember

If the other guys seem ok I would put him in a hospital tank if you have one available and treat him there. If that’s not an option, you might consider treating the whole tank to be safe. Could be bacterial or parasitic so maybe something that treats both.

3. LucynValued MemberMember

Yeah I actually just dosed the entire tank with Prazipro in case there is something and to eliminate any potential eggs. If I notice anything improve, I'll do a second treatment to ensure it killed whatever parasite it may be, considering eggs are left behind in the poop. If not, then I know it's most likely another problem, any thoughts?

4. LadyArtemisValued MemberMember

Sounds like a good plan of action. Provide extra aeration while you are treating if possible. Hope he gets better!

5. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Any improvement?