Help Possible Sbd, Fasting And Pea Haven't Worked

chrisexv6

Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 5.5 gallon
How long has the tank been running? 4 weeks
Does it have a filter? Yes (Azoo Mignon 150)
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Single male betta fish (Black Orchid)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Currently cycling with TSS+ but small water change once a week has occurred
How much of the water do you change? 1 gallon
What do you use to treat your water? 2 drops of prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Siphon vac the "big stuff" from the gravel but nothing really in depth

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
What do you use to test the water? API master kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2x per day
How much do you feed your fish? 2 pellets total (1 pellet per feeding)
What brand of food do you feed your fish? New Line Spectrum
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 6 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 hours
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? sideways, lethargic, can't stay at bottom of tank
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? None, other than lethargy and being sideways

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

A couple weeks ago our Oliver was exhibiting (what I thought to be) symptoms of swim bladder issues: Couldnt really make it to the bottom and stay there, if he was in mid-water he would end up sideways and to sleep he would attach himself to a silk plant or the filter intake (luckily the intake has a sponge on it)

I fasted him for 3 days, fed a few tiny pieces of a shelled pea and then he perked up. Everything has been fine since then until last Thursday.

Same symptoms...I did a quick 15%-ish water change, fed him part of a pea and went to bed. Next morning he was like a new fish...up and down the tank no problem, never sideways, etc. I fasted him for 2 days just to be sure. Last night I fed him part of a pea again (after the 2 day fast) and went to bed. This morning he was still fine, so I gave him one pre-soaked NLS betta pellet.

Here we are 6 hours later and he is back to SBD symptoms...sideways, planted himself in a plant to sleep, etc. It pains me to see him this way, so I'm looking for what to do next. I'm pretty sure it is SBD because the symptoms fit and I don't see any other signs. He doesn't seem to be struggling to breathe, he just looks sad and sideways and lethargic.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
sounds like the pellet might be causing too much gas (processed food, carbs, fruit?) in his intestines. i'm not sure what Bettas eat in the wild, maybe try some fresh worms or bugs.

OP
chrisexv6

chrisexv6

Reaction score
Thanks. Ive read that daphnia is a good possibility but I can't get any locally. Have ordered some freeze dried from Amazon (HikarI brand)

Not sure what else might work, I know it needs to be high in fiber. Petco has "betta bugs" which are live wingless fruit flies, but not sure of the fiber content of them.

OP
chrisexv6

chrisexv6

Reaction score
Update - noticed a small white/greenish-white poop-looking string coming out. It was not long but was like a string (not a ball)

Not sure if that means internal parasites or if its just the pea I fed him last night coming out?

New Threads