Possible rilli shrimp?

Crimson_687

difference became more noticeable now that the shrimp has matured. Will the pattern be present in offspring?

JettsPapa

My experience with rilis is far from extensive, but from that limited experience I believe it's very likely that the pattern will be passed down to offspring. I had a single blue rili in my tank of solid reds for a short time. I later had many red rili shrimp show up in that tank.

Crimson_687

I'll move the rili shrimp out. Surprised to see a rili come from regular reds though

barbiespoodle

Like JettsPapa, I'm am far from an expert on rili's.

In my case, my fairly new blue shrimp tank started throwing red reli's. I set up what I called the cull tank to hold these since I didn't want them in my blue breeding population but didn't have the heart to make them fish food in the community.

Now here is where my ignorance comes into play. Instead of just making the tank a rili tank using only the rili's from the blue tank, I add some of my lighter colored reds from the red tank. A couple generations later and I have a weird mixture of colors, including plain browns. I think I wouldn't have the plain browns if I had just only added the rili's from the blue tank.

But in my defense, at the time I figured it was a cull tank so what the heck. I even added a nice school of wcmm's to make my first shrimp/fish tank, again because I figured it was a cull tank so why not try something new?

So here is the experiment, several generations and a very prolific tank to the point that I upgraded from a 10 gallon to a 20 long. The shrimp have produce some very interesting colors and the wcmm's not only have had no impact on their reproduction rate, but added a wonderful vitality to the tank.

skar

barbiespoodle said:
Like JettsPapa, I'm am far from an expert on rili's.

In my case, my fairly new blue shrimp tank started throwing red reli's. I set up what I called the cull tank to hold these since I didn't want them in my blue breeding population but didn't have the heart to make them fish food in the community.

Now here is where my ignorance comes into play. Instead of just making the tank a rili tank using only the rili's from the blue tank, I add some of my lighter colored reds from the red tank. A couple generations later and I have a weird mixture of colors, including plain browns. I think I wouldn't have the plain browns if I had just only added the rili's from the blue tank.

But in my defense, at the time I figured it was a cull tank so what the heck. I even added a nice school of wcmm's to make my first shrimp/fish tank, again because I figured it was a cull tank so why not try something new?

So here is the experiment, several generations and a very prolific tank to the point that I upgraded from a 10 gallon to a 20 long. The shrimp have produce some very interesting colors and the wcmm's not only have had no impact on their reproduction rate, but added a wonderful vitality to the tank.
I really like the mixed colors of shrimp.
I might add some blue to my cherries to get that !!

Nice

Crimson_687

That marbled red-blue shrimp in thew center of pic one is absolutely stunning. It’s also cool to see how many of them are rili even though the shrimp were never pure-strain rilis. Must be a very prevalent gene.

For a long time I’ve had a mix of low and high-grade reds, so now I’m working on moving out the low-grades and adding more high-grades to boost genetic diversity. All cull shrimp, and any possible rilis, go into my community tank. This is the first rili I’ve ever seen, so maybe the gene came directly from a few high-grades I recently added. By the time they mature they are large enough to avoid the mouth of my tetras, plus they learn to stay on the bottom. I only ever see full-grown females come to the top of the tank, though the fish only try to bother them if they see one free-swimming.

it would be cool to have a skittles tank... culls are pretty affordable online and I could keep them with the cull reds. Even if they revert to wild-type there would always be some colored individuals in the group

barbiespoodle

Yea, I like the red/blue mottled ones too. Got a few of them with varying degrees of mottling.

But the ones I'm kind of liking right now are some browns with dark tiger/leopard kind of markings.

Oh to have the money, space and time to set up various tanks with some of the different color or color combinations just to see if I can get a line that breeds true. It's on my to do list when I win the lottery. Now all I have to do is find the money to play the lottery, lol.

Meanwhile, it's been an interesting and fun experiment. I'm so glad I didn't have the heart to turn my culls into free fish food. And it's an on going experiment, going to be interesting to see where it goes in a few more generations. It's become a fav tank to watch, if only to see what is new because there is always something new.

This pic shows one of the browns I like. I have more dramatic ones than this one, but they chose to be camera shy today.

Crimson_687

barbiespoodle said:
Oh to have the money, space and time to set up various tanks with some of the different color or color combinations just to see if I can get a line that breeds true. It's on my to do list when I win the lottery. Now all I have to do is find the money to play the lottery, lol.

Meanwhile, it's been an interesting and fun experiment. I'm so glad I didn't have the heart to turn my culls into free fish food. And it's an on going experiment, going to be interesting to see where it goes in a few more generations. It's become a fav tank to watch, if only to see what is new because there is always something new.
I've thought about using breeders to keep other colors without having more tanks but I'm not sure a half-gallon space would keep them happy.

I personally don't kill any shrimp. For one all my fish have small mouths so I would have to crush the shrimp, two I have an alternate home anyway so there's no reason to kill them.

The browns resemble green jades. I wonder what they would look like in high-grade

Latest threads

Top Bottom