Possible Ramirezi Fish Id Help

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by appcontrol, Feb 13, 2019.

1. appcontrol

appcontrolWell Known MemberMember

So in my local pet store they have 2 tanks that are labeled as papiliochromis ramirezi, in one there are normal colorful rams in other I don't know are they females or some different kind so I need help. I found one picture how they look on Internet, I forgot to take a picture but if its needed I will take one tomorrow.

Btw. price is same and worker's don't know

Attached Files:

2. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Interesting .They just look stressed .
    Surprised they did not want to claim as wild since they look so poor.
    I think that is how most 'wild' rams show up. To crappy looking to sell as a well breed fish ?

3. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

I really don't know I first was thinking its females but then I saw normal females in other tank and those ones stayed mistery. But I think they are wild ones maybe too I think I saw them in aquarium coop video with master breeder Dean and he wasn't sure are those rams or not.

4. candiedragon

candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

Coral bandit breeds rams like crazy too. Should check out the YouTube video link on his profile lol. @AquaticJ is pretty well-versed with rams as well. If they're all stumped, that's quite the mystery lol. Did you ask for the owner or whoever orders the fish into the store?

5. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

Tnx i will check his YouTube page, Yea I asked but they don't have idea, my pet store isn't the best but best I got in 4h driving radius so I work with what I got.

I would maybe buy one or two o those weird rams but I don't know what parameters they like so until I get more info I will leave them alone.

6. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

They are just rams that had an older name put to them .
    If not wild then not a great looking fish IMO.

7. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

They’re very odd looking Rams. Wild caught Rams need very soft acidic water so I’m guessing their osmotic systems are very stressed.
    Wild Rams are very variable across their range. Some of them are nicer than the ‘Blues’ imo. Suppose it depends how much you like blue fish. :)

8. OP
    OP
    appcontrol

Yea I guess so I have pretty hard water and neutral pH but I have some botanical in tank... I will try to find out kind if I catch ovner of pet store maybe he will know.