Possible Pregnant Platy??

1. TripleChrome

TripleChrome New Member Member

I went into Petsmart today and saw that they were having a massive sale on fish. 80¢ for most. I took it upon myself to buy some. Funny thing is, the fish they have on sale are ALWAYS the healthiest at the one I go to. I bought a Black Skirt Tetra who will go in my 100 gallon community with four others, a Painted Platy (male) and a Sunburst(?) Platy (female). She doesn't have the black fins like Red Wags, and the other tag said I think Sunburst. These will all go in my 100 gallon community tank after a months quarantine. Right now all of them are in a ten gallon quarantine (or is ten too small right now?). I put them in a 1 ½ gallon to try to get pictures, but they wouldn't stay still. So I had to get a video.

I am wondering about the female platy. I know how to tell if a female live bearer is pregnant, but this one doesn't look to have a gravid spot. She also looks boxy in some angles, but just round in some angles. Could she had just been overfed at Petsmart? Or could I be dealing with babies?

Another quick question. When the two platies go in the 100 gallon, there is another male. A Blue Wag. Should I try and get some more females so the males don't get aggressive? Or will they interbreed if the two males are with the female?

Here are screenshots from the video (I can't figure out how to post a video through mobile. I looked, but maybe I am just over looking it since it is about 12:30 a.m.). She is the orangish red with clear fins and yellow through them with black on her body just near the base and not going up like the Painted's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully the screenshots are good images. I will try to get actual pictures in the morning if these don't help much.

2. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariums Valued Member Member

looks pregnant to me

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Your female is a red mm (Mickey mouse) Platy. She doesn't look pregnant because she has no black eggs in her belly.