Possible pregnant guppy?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by BaritoneChick, Jun 30, 2016.

1. BaritoneChick

BaritoneChickNew MemberMember

imageimage

So I finally installed a heater in my aquarium (way overdue) and my female guppy seems pregnant? She's seemed this way for a little while, possibly waiting for the conditions to be warmer considering the male died a month or so ago. She seems pretty chubby and has line indents on both sides of her stomach (which could maybe be squaring off?) She was sticking around the heater for a while, then would dart around a bit, as if she had a lot of energy. Any second opinions would be great! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. OP
    OP
    BaritoneChick

Her back is also arched, which is not normal

3. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

She looks awfully large to be pregnant. I'm suspecting bloat or constipation. Looks like she has scoliosis as well (arched back).

Can you get a side picture?

4. OP
    OP
    BaritoneChick

I thought it might be something like that. Her back wasn't arched this much when I got her, seems as if it's been progressing a bit, but I'm not sure

5. Aster

How long have you had her? Has her stomach always been that big?

Tank size, stocking, parameters?

6. OP
    OP
    BaritoneChick

I've had her 3-4 months and no, she hasn't always been that big. The tank is 10 gallons with currently only her, a female platy, and a snail (I haven't had time to go buy some more, but I'm doing it Saturday.) Parameters are good as well

7. Aster

You've had her long enough that she should've dropped fry if she was pregnant. She's more likely to be bloated. Fast her for three days then feed a pea.

EDIT: And oh, this sounds a little weird but have you noticed her pooping recently?

8. OP
    OP
    BaritoneChick

Oh yea she's been pooping

9. Aster

Okay, well if she's pooping it's a good sign. Still, fast her for 3 days then feed her peas until the bloat goes away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice