Possible Pop Eye?

Wpppudge02

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Not sure if this is pop eye or if he bumped/scratched it.

tank is 120g
temp 77.8
ph is 8.2
amm= 0
trites = 0
trates = .25 (water changes often atleast 20%)

all fish are acting normal, water quality is pristine

Fish in question was found about a day ago with swollen eye and eats/acts normal. any recommendations or ideas? I hope he just hurt it swimming around the tank. you can see in the two pictures the scope of the swelling and in the picture he is turned facing the left you can see there is a small white mark right behind and a little low on his eye.

IMG_2473.JPG
IMG_2470.JPG
IMG_2466.JPG

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not being familiar with this fish species (I'm assuming a type of cichlid), I'm finding it hard to tell from those photos. The bottom one is a little blurry and the angles of the photos/fish don't make it easy.
It does look like there's some swelling. It could be from an injury, yes, or an infection (or both). It doesn't look so bad as to be really concerning, although, as I said, I'm not experienced with this fish so I don't really know how the eyes look normally. You can just watch him for a few days and see if he heals naturally.
If you're concerned (as I tend to be with eye-related issues), you can try Epsom salt baths (about 1/2-1 tsp per gallon or a tablespoon per 3 gallons dissolved in a separate container or tank for no more than 15 minutes) to reduce swelling. At this point I don't think I'd jump to medication, although I suppose you could do something like Paraguard baths (or treatment if you hace a hospital tank) in case there's an external infection going on. That's relatively mild but can be effective depending on the situation.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom