Possible Parasite

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Corycat, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Corycat

Corycat Valued Member Member

Hey everyone!

I have a 55 g with dojo loaches and a variety of cory catfish such as blochi bloch, julii and agassizii. Unfortunately the cories have been passing and I'm unsure why. They have been flashing but the water parameters are good 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate. PH is a little on the higher side 7.6 or 7.8 due to the hard well water. I've checked source water nothing odd there. I have reason to believe its a parasite due to the flashing. They are also hovering, not resting on the bottom. Some of their gills are red down to the bottom little front fin there right under the gills. I've been treating with API General Cure but it hasn't gotten too much better for a couple of the cories. I'm scared to use clout because it is so harsh. Any ideas on what this could be and how to fix it? Any input is much appreciated!

2. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Did you see some temporary relief from flashing while on General Cure and for a few days after?

3. OP
    OP
    Corycat

Well, I was losing at least one a day and now *knocks on wood* I haven't seen any death the past couple of days. I started the treatment last Wednesday. I'm a dummy and dosed the meds into the tank Thursday 24 hours after instead of 48. So I had gotten 2 packages and decided to do treatment the proper way. I dosed yesterday morning and plan to finish it tomorrow morning the full 48 hours after. But while observing them today I did see a couple flash and one looks pale with red gills. I don't believe this is ick. I'm familiar with that and don't see any white spot. One of the agassizii spazzed out, went to the top and had a blood red eye. It was so strange I've never seen anything like it. Poor guy. Whenever Ive pulled out the dead ones theyve been very red all in the chest cavity. It's unlike ammonia burn or anything like that. It's truly puzzling. I have Fritz Clout but I'm very scared of it. I used it in my 10 gallon and lost a ton of fish in the past. They were cories and otocinclous. That's part of the problem of having only scaleless fish in there is just they are so sensitive to meds. Another reason why I chose to try General cure first, as it doesnt seem so harsh.

4. D

Sounds like gill flukes.
    Gill flukes are very hard to treat because you need to kill them in all their life stages (adult on fish, larval stage, etc...). Praziquantel is the best treatment. General Cure has Praziquantel as one of the active ingredients ( along with metronidazole); however, it only kills the adult parasites on the gills and not the larvae that lies dormant waiting for a host. So, General Cure usually only gives temporary relief.
    I would suggest using Hikari's Prazipro--- Or, can use 100% Praziquantel powder- from angelsplus.com or kensfish.com. It is safe for scaleless fish and inverts.
    When my discus get gill flukes I first try the seven days recommended on the bottle of Hikari's Prazipro. However, if after the seven day treatment they still are showing symptoms, I will do a twenty-one day treatment. With this, all the life stages of the fluke are eradicated. It is a lot of work on your part, with the water changes, but it works:
    Day 1 - 50% WC and a full dose of Prazi
    Day 2 - 50% WC and a half dose of Prazi
    Day 3 - 50% WC and no dose of Prazi
    Day 4 - Same as day 1
    Day 5 - Same as day 2
    Repeat this schedule for 21 days.
    Ps: There are other schedules of this 21 day treatment for flukes online that don't include as many water changes to treat. This is just the one that I have used or, in other words, a schedule I have actually done and can verify that it was successful.

5. OP
    OP
    Corycat

Wow ok I don't think I've ever encountered gill flukes before. It hasn't been fun, that's for sure. I'm not afraid of work or water changes, anything to put this problem behind us. I just went to my lfs and the prazipro is 50 bucks so I'm going to have to look around for a better price. They recommended using clout there but I'm still unsure. I've been reading about anti fluke. Is that any good?

6. D

You were right to be wary of using Clout with scaleless/armored catfish- not recommended.

Are you in the UK? The Anti-fluke Brand is a brand common to UK. It's active ingredient is Flubendazole- which will work, but you come up with the same problem- need to use it to kill all stages of the fluke development, not just the adults that are on host. So, may need to do a spaced out treatment plan ( 2-3 treatments over a three week period.)
    Not sure what the directions say on the back of the box- couldn't access that information- but, once you purchased we could help you devise a treatment based on directions.

I found Prazipro on Amazon cheaper than the 50.00 at your LFS
    fishhttps://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Hikari-Prazipro-16oz/dp/B0006JLPCC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502133742&sr=8-2&keywords=prazipro

But, I have a feeling your in UK and I am unsure of what it would be for you there.

Another flubendazole product that I have heard great things about for the treatment of gill flukes is Kusari Wormer +.
    Hope this helps.

7. OP
    OP
    Corycat

Thanks for the link for Prazi! I'm actually in Florida I've just been trying to research what the best course of action would be and most cost effective. I thought ick was a pain but this is way worse. I wish it was simple ick instead! This is rough stuff! I'm hoping to save everybody if possible. I'm truly kicking myself for not having a quarentine tank. I should have known better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice