Possible Parasite?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Aquadisiac, Jul 21, 2015.

1. A

Aquadisiac New Member Member

Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker although recently new member of this forum. For some background, I've recently gotten back into fish keeping after about 8 years so I'm not a complete novice although I am definitely not an expert by any means. What brings me here today is I have noticed something abnormal in my tank. It is a 30g FW tank with a few small green corydoras and one flame dwarf gourami. The tank was cycled prior to adding them. I use the API FW testing kit (parameters: 0, 0, 10) and it is set at 79 degrees.

The unusual thing I have noticed is long, white-ish feces and I worry it may be some internal parasite. I have included a picture below of one caught on a decoration. I never had to deal with parasites in my prior experience so I'm not familiar with what it could be or the best way to approach treatment. Thank you all for your help.

fish.jpg

2. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Long, stringy feces is definitely a warning sign of internal parasites, but what I see in the picture is just normal fish poop.

3. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I think it's normal. My gourami will do that if it eats a lot of plant matter. Are the fish acting normal/eating regular? If so its probably diet related.

4. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

White mucous poop is a sign of many diffrent internal problems, parasites as well as bacteria. Now weather its just diet/stress related that idk. I don't really know how gourami's are suppose to act, but any unusual behavior? Flashing, scratching floating abnormally?

5. OP
    OP
    A

No, no abnormal activity. I think I may try switching up his diet and see if that helps first before jumping the gun on medication.

6. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

What are you feeding them?

7. OP
    OP
    A

Omega One mini pellets. Recently got some freeze dried blood worms and shrimp to supplement and just tried them he seemed to like them. I also picked up some frozen brine shrimp to try as well to mix up diet.

8. M

I'm no expert but I've always been a fan of providing a mixed diet.

Good luck!

9. g

gypsy32 Valued Member Member

Something i learnt on this forum is to be sure to soak any freeze dried food in a cup of tank water to rehydrate before feeding to your fish as it can cause bloat because the freeze dried food expands in their belly which can actually kill them,

also try every now and then like once or twice a week to give them peas it helps them with their poop..lol

Sent from my SM-T113 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

i have had a dwarf gourami die on me recently, due to a white string coming out of it. but it never fell off him. it was an internal parasite that killed it. as long as it doesnt stay stuck in the fish and just hangs there i wouldnt be worried.

11. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

Aquadisiac I have a gourami also, mines a flame dwarf, I was informed recently that algae wafers are a nice addition to their diet. Give those a try and see if he eats them...may take a bit before he goes for it tho

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. w

wiedow Valued Member Member

My dwarf gpurami always steals my kuhlis' algae wafers! He loves them

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

:eek: Good to know! That's the last time I feed my fish blood worms right out of the package!

14. OP
    OP
    A

He was actually just nibbling on one the other night! I was surprised to see him feeding off the bottom of the tank but he seemed to like them.

15. M

Ours do to, so funny seeing them dive after the wafers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice