Help Possible Parasite In My Tank, Need Help Iding.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Probably planaria. Planaria are generally non harmful to fish but can harm invertebrates like shrimp.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Remove that one manually and see if more show up. To kill of planaria you're going to have to use some kind of dewormer. A lot of people use dog dewormers. I have never personally had to get rid of planaria, but there are tutorials on using dog dewormer to get rid of them. Fenbendazole is the ingredient you should be looking for.

Fuz

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Remove that one manually and see if more show up. To kill of planaria you're going to have to use some kind of dewormer. A lot of people use dog dewormers. I have never personally had to get rid of planaria, but there are tutorials on using dog dewormer to get rid of them. Fenbendazole is the ingredient you should be looking for.
Would this be harmful to fish/snails/shrimp? I don't have fish at the moment but I'm doing my fishless cycle. There's nothing for them to feed on unless they eat dead plants.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That medication doesn't kill worms. It targets ectoparasites, malachite green isn't effective against planaria as far as I'm aware. It also has the potential to harm inverts. Planaria and other worms make themselves apparent through overfeeding and poor upkeep. They do eat dead plants and other types of detritus. There are also specific meds like No Planaria, but I'd assume dog dewormer to be cheaper and more convenient.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom