Possible Neon Tetra Disease?

BettaBabies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One of my neon tetras was noticeably pale today. And im not sure why, it still ate.

If this is neon tetra disease how can i be sure? I dont see cysts or anything. At what point do i separate this fish from the others? And what can i treat my tank with, i have aquarium salt and melafix. What medicine should i have on hand for this?

Im gonna post a picture for some help with diagnosing. Please help, i dont wanna lose my babies. In the picture look closely at the third fish from the left & its blue stripe is fading, at the back his blue stripe is nearly gone. He is also slightly gray at the top of him. Compare him to the two fish on the right & you see his paleness. Is this the beginning of neon tetra disease? Should i separate him? And what do i do about the tank after? Is it infected & do i have to treat it for anything? Im very worried please help
20180508_170921.jpg

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the diease BUT bettas and neon tetra are not compatible. They need different temperature, so you should definitely rehome the betta. Also bettas are sensitive to salt and Melafix is very dangerous for them, so whatever you want to use as a medication, be sure to isolate the betta somewhere else before.

BettaBabies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WanhiBetta said:
I don't know about the diease BUT bettas and neon tetra are not compatible. They need different temperature, so you should definitely rehome the betta. Also bettas are sensitive to salt and Melafix is very dangerous for them, so whatever you want to use as a medication, be sure to isolate the betta somewhere else before.
arent they both tropical fish? I keep my tank at about 78
I didnt know bettas were sensitive to salt thank you. I did know melafix was bad for their labyrinth organs, so just know that i used like half the dosage & only in extreme circumstances did i use the medication at all. Thanks for the advice, its my betta i want to protect most so i may take ur advice & separate her right away actually, hopefully someone will know something about neon tetra disease.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately Neon tetra like water around 75F which is too cold for the betta Your current temperature is fine for the betta but if you separate her you should try to get the temp around 75 for the tetras. Do you have other fish in the tank?

Even half dosage of Melafix can be deadly for bettas.

BettaBabies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WanhiBetta said:
Unfortunately Neon tetra like water around 75F which is too cold for the betta Your current temperature is fine for the betta but if you separate her you should try to get the temp around 75 for the tetras. Do you have other fish in the tank?

Even half dosage of Melafix can be deadly for bettas.
Its only the neon tetras plus my betta. Do you think 76 would work for the them together? Im unsure if i can get another tank just yet to separate them.

I guess i cant use melafix anymore. Do u know of a good finrot medication by chance?

BettaBabies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WanhiBetta said:
no, 76 is too cold for the betta. There is no temperature that will be good for both..

With finrot you can do methylene blue baths! but pristine water is always the best.
Im not confident i can do a bath, but ill look it up! Thank you

BettaBabies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WanhiBetta said:
you just need a separate container, nothing else!
Great, i saw methyline blue on amazon real cheap.

I also already moved my betta, and turned off the heater for the neon tetras & it turns out that its 80 degrees in my room & the tank is at 78 & im not sure how to cool it down if its the outside temp thats making it high

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
BettaBabies said:
Great, i saw methyline blue on amazon real cheap.

I also already moved my betta, and turned off the heater for the neon tetras & it turns out that its 80 degrees in my room & the tank is at 78 & im not sure how to cool it down if its the outside temp thats making it high
If you search "how to cool water in a fish tank" you'll find many ways to do it. I can't really help you with it more than that because I've never had to cool any of my tanks...

BettaBabies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WanhiBetta said:
If you search "how to cool water in a fish tank" you'll find many ways to do it. I can't really help you with it more than that because I've never had to cool any of my tanks...
Ha yea the weather here is hot so i guess not everyone has that issue. Thank you so much for your help

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom