Possible mouth rot

Sarah1230ox

Hi everyone. So i lost a danio about A week ago and posted the other day that one seems.to have a bent spine...he now has white lines all over and possibly mouth rot. My problem is my qt tank is currently in use with new fish....do i treat the whole tank or should i put him.in a bucket away from the other fish? Is it contagious? My other fish seem.fine...hes clearly stressed rapidly opening his mouth... I have melafix would it be a good.idea.to just dose the whole tank?! If this is something thats spreading does it tend to spread between the species or will my goldfish and platy become the affected? Thanks

jkkgron2

please just don’t use melafix.. it’s not a good med. one of my tetras had mouth rot and it didn’t spread but I managed to get it out of the tank right after it died and none of my fish had gotten to it yet, I also did a large water change right away.

It would be safer to treat the whole tank but I’m not sure how well the fish are doing with each other. Goldfish are cold water fish and danios and platys are tropical.

What’s the tank size?
Water parameters?
Full stocking?
temp?
If you answer those questions it will be easier to ID the problem and find a good treatment for it.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

Ok
please just don’t use melafix.. it’s not a good med. one of my tetras had mouth rot and it didn’t spread but I managed to get it out of the tank right after it died and none of my fish had gotten to it yet, I also did a large water change right away.

It would be safer to treat the whole tank but I’m not sure how well the fish are doing with each other. Goldfish are cold water fish and danios and platys are tropical.

What’s the tank size?
Water parameters?
Full stocking?
temp?
If you answer those questions it will be easier to ID the problem and find a good treatment for it.
The fish are fine with each other. Have been in the tank nearly three years no problems . Danios and platys were both sold as temperate fish...tank is around 24 degrees. So its not that they are fighting or anything.... Tank is 135 litres. Upgrading next week to a 180. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10 nitrate tank haa been cycled for a long time. Two goldfish fancy. Three platy and 9 danio. Three.filters going.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Ok

The fish are fine with each other. Have been in the tank nearly three years no problems . Danios and platys were both sold as temperate fish...tank is around 24 degrees. So its not that they are fighting or anything.... Tank is 135 litres. Upgrading next week to a 180. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10 nitrate tank haa been cycled for a long time. Two goldfish fancy. Three platy and 9 danio. Three.filters going.
Ok then overstocking isn’t the issue. The temp is actually a bit high for the goldfish but it’s perfect for the other fish. Does the rot look bacterial or fungal? Pics?

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

Ok then overstocking isn’t the issue. The temp is actually a bit high for the goldfish but it’s perfect for the other fish. Does the rot look bacterial or fungal? Pics?
Unfortunately its a warm day temp can range from 22-24 ℃ but never had any issues with the goldfish yet. I can not get a picture! He wont stay still I may try catch him to get one. On his body he has white patches they dont look fuzzy like fungal,.and his.top lip had a white line, and also his spine which is bent which someone told me could be old age, whats wrong with melafix may i ask?

Best i can get in the water. Its ittle mucky, just cleaned the filter. Will try catch him. Would.it be better to put him in my breeders net?!
IMG_20200731_152005.jpg
IMG_20200731_151951.jpg

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Unfortunately its a warm day temp can range from 22-24 ℃ but never had any issues with the goldfish yet. I can not get a picture! He wont stay still I may try catch him to get one. On his body he has white patches they dont look fuzzy like fungal,.and his.top lip had a white line, and also his spine which is bent which someone told me could be old age, whats wrong with melafix may i ask?
It just doesn’t do that much. It’s also very bad for bettas or any labyrinth fish because it makes it hard for them to breath at the surface. Since it’s not fuzzy I’m going to go with a bacterial infection, possible columnaris. If it is columnaris then your going to want to treat with furan-2 and kanaplex. I’m not sure if you treat at the same time or separate but I think that you’re going to want to do both at the same time and follow the directions.

In the pic it does look very unhealthy. If it’s bacterial it may have already spread so I would treat the whole tank.
I would isolate it, but still treat the tank. That way it’s preventing the bacteria from spreading further but also making sure that all the fish get treated just in case.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

It just doesn’t do that much. It’s also very bad for bettas or any labyrinth fish because it makes it hard for them to breath at the surface. Since it’s not fuzzy I’m going to go with a bacterial infection, possible columnaris. If it is columnaris then your going to want to treat with furan-2 and kanaplex. I’m not sure if you treat at the same time or separate but I think that you’re going to want to do both at the same time and follow the directions.

In the pic it does look very unhealthy. If it’s bacterial it may have already spread so I would treat the whole tank.
I would isolate it, but still treat the tank. That way it’s preventing the bacteria from spreading further but also making sure that all the fish get treated just in case.
Im in the uk, not sure i can get them treatments..ill.ring my local.store. yeah, i think its age, their average lifespan is 3 years which he now is...i obviously cant put him.in the qt tank so do i put him in the net or a separate bucket?

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Im in the uk, not sure i can get them treatments..ill.ring my local.store. yeah, i think its age, their average lifespan is 3 years which he now is...i obviously cant put him.in the qt tank so do i put him in the net or a separate bucket?
I won’t lie, this is tricky to answer. It would be better for the other fish if he was in the bucket but healthier for him in the net. I would put him in the bucket (with a heater or atleast a filter if you can) for now.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

I won’t lie, this is tricky to answer. It would be better for the other fish if he was in the bucket but healthier for him in the net. I would put him in the bucket (with a heater or atleast a filter if you can) for now.
Okay thanks

Can i just ask.is there any chance i could be dealing with tb here? With the two danios with bent spines im.worrying...someone told me if happens to them with old age but i don't know

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Can i just ask.is there any chance i could be dealing with tb here? With the two danios with bent spines im.worrying...someone told me if happens to them with old age but i don't know
It could be either. I have heard some things saying that fish TB doesn’t actually exist so I can’t say if it is or not but yes, it’s possible. I doubt it and I’ve seen many fish with deformities or bent spines that have been completely fine, sometimes not even old. I actually had to postpone a breeding project because of one.

Does the spine just suddenly get bent, or is it over time? If it’s suddenly then I would be worried, but still wouldn’t jump to conclusions.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

It could be either. I have heard some things saying that fish TB doesn’t actually exist so I can’t say if it is or not but yes, it’s possible. I doubt it and I’ve seen many fish with deformities or bent spines that have been completely fine, sometimes not even old. I actually had to postpone a breeding project because of one.

Does the spine just suddenly get bent, or is it over time? If it’s suddenly then I would be worried, but still wouldn’t jump to conclusions.
Ok thank you. I only really noticed it this week, usually dont spend alot of time in my room watching them. Hes still active and eating...but another does seem like its going the same way. The fish shop told mw to treat for internal Bacteria...guess.ill treat the tank.keep.an eye on.them all and.hope for the best!

Sorry to be a pain ive caught him he is pineconing?!

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Sorry to be a pain ive caught him he is pineconing?!
Just Separate him. Get him away from other fish, he has a severe case of something and we really don’t want it spreading, especially since you’re out of treatment right now. All we can do right now is up the waterchanges to twice a week and monitor the other fish until you get treatment.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

Just Separate him. Get him away from other fish, he has a severe case of something and we really don’t want it spreading, especially since you’re out of treatment right now. All we can do right now is up the waterchanges to twice a week and monitor the other fish until you get treatment.
So in a bucket? I feel bad ..didn't know if to do the breeders net. Im now thinking he has dropsy!!! Ive been told to try the melafix for the rest of the tank? Is it really that bad

This is a top view definitely think its dropsy.
IMG_20200731_182918.jpg

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

So in a bucket? I feel bad ..didn't know if to do the breeders net. Im now thinking he has dropsy!!! Ive been told to try the melafix for the rest of the tank? Is it really that bad
It’s not bad but it won’t do any good. You may end up just stressing out the fish even more. Yeah I would do it in the bucket, I hate to say it but he doesn’t sound like he’s going to make it.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

I
It’s not bad but it won’t do any good. You may end up just stressing out the fish even more. Yeah I would do it in the bucket, I hate to say it but he doesn’t sound like he’s going to make it.
If i put him in a breeder net so the other fish can't get him are they stil at risk? I had a goldfish die from dropsy a few.months back!!

Got him out would you try treat let him die naturally or euthanize now?

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_184149.jpg
    IMG_20200731_184149.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Got him out would you try treat let him die naturally or euthanize now?
Euthanize if you’re willing. Otherwise let him die naturally.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

Euthanize if you’re willing. Otherwise let him die naturally.
I have no clove oil, so id have to decapitate. If he is still going ina bit.i will . Hes seemed to he worse now out of the tank in the tank he was swimming now hes flippiny over the stress i guess? Ive covered him out to try less the stress poor guy. Hoping the danio i lost last week isnt related...this.definitely looks like.dropsy. not sure if to dose tank with a bacterial treatments anways just to bee safe?

He passed on. I know this is gruesome, but he looka healthy other than dropsy..i thought he had mouth rot..but hia.mouth and skin look.fine!!! So would you still treat the tank?
IMG_20200731_192754.jpg
IMG_20200731_192748.jpg

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I wouldnt yet, something might still be going on since you lost two danios recently. But They could’ve just had old age and since he didn’t have any rot he may have just been old. I would keep a close watch on the tank but just do 50% twice a week to be safe.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

I wouldnt yet, something might still be going on since you lost two danios recently. But They could’ve just had old age and since he didn’t have any rot he may have just been old. I would keep a close watch on the tank but just do 50% twice a week to be safe.
Okay thank you will keep an eye on everyone! I did a change today. And do two a week anyways. But upgrading on Friday next week to a bigger tank! Thank you for all your help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KingRandy91
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Bj259
Replies