Possible Mouth Fungus - What To Do?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CloudKeeper, Apr 8, 2017.

1. CloudKeeper

CloudKeeper Valued Member Member

I currently have three White Cloud Mountain Minnows in a ten-gallon tank. Today (April 8, '17) I saw one of my White Clouds resting on one of the decorations (Unusual for these three), this sparked my curiosity. Turns out he had some transparent stuff hanging from his bottom lip.

In a panic move I quarantined him in a plastic container (I don't actually have a quarantine tank)

After I quarantined him I did some research and found that people didn't necessarily remove their fish from the tank. He got very stressed at first (being a school fish alone) and now he just chills at the bottom of the container. But now the transparent substance seems to have fallen off in his swim-against-the-glass-in-fear...There's hardly any stuff on his lip if any at all. And I'm starting to wonder if I just panicked because he had something stuck on his lip. So...

Q1 Should I have removed my fish from the main tank? If not, should I put him back?
    Q2 I'm not 100% sure it's Mouth Fungus, should I wait and see if the transparent stuff comes back?

Thanks in advance,
    CloudKeeper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Since they don't necessarily need heaters, He would be okay in the container. What does his mouth look like now? Does it look perfectly normal?

3. OP
    OP
    CloudKeeper

His mouth looks pretty normal. Like I said most of the stuff on his lip fell off or something. Just a tiny speck on his chin.

I'd try to take some photos but he's still stressed and swimming about...I don't have water conditioner because my water source comes from a well (Doesn't have chlorine or anything of the sort), I've been giving them unconditioned water for almost a year with no problems. However, I'm probably going to get some again just for the stress relief that Fluval's water conditioner comes with.

4. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Are the three WCMMs the only fish in the tank? If it ends up being something you need to treat, you should probably treat the whole tank since he has been in there. It does sound like there may be something going on due to his behavior and what you saw on his mouth. As far a returning him to the tank, that would be your call.

5. OP
    OP
    CloudKeeper

Yes, the three White Clouds are the only fish.
    I guess I'll leave him in the plastic container over night and see if the growth comes back.

Thanks for your help, KimberlyG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice