possible leak!?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by klutz10154, Dec 14, 2012.

1. klutz10154

klutz10154Valued MemberMember

if the bottom of a 35 gal full tank is leaking really slowly what do I do???

2. mmolitor87

mmolitor87Well Known MemberMember

I would transfer the fish to something safe...buckets, bowls, ect. Cover them if the fish are known jumpers! Drain the tank and either try to seal it or replace it. Any aquarium-grade sealant should do the trick.

You could keep the extra aquarium water around to do water changes on the buckets/bowls to keep the fish as safe as possible while the sealant dries if you go that route.

Just be sure to at least save the filter media! Don't expose it directly to tap water before dechlorinating it!

You could also use prime to assist with keeping the water safe for your fish. It neutralizes the bad stuffs for ~24 hours.

3. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

The good thing is that I haven't put any fish in yet just plants and just set it up this morning, it's been almost 10hrs since I set it up and just noticed water a little bit ago. so it's possible I just missed the tank but idk yet...

4. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

If you're not sure you can try drying it thoroughly and rechecking it later. If you missed the bottom rim can hold water and make it appear to be a slow leak. Of course, to do this you'd have to be comfortable leaving a full potentially leaking tank set up.

Also, I would check to make sure its not coming from a leaky hob or something too.

5. Siggi

SiggiWell Known MemberMember

If it is in fact leaking, it doesn't matter if it is really slowly or really quickly :;smack

Is the tank a petshop aquisition? Should have guarantee against leaking - turn it in for a new one!!!
    Is the tank DIY-aquarium? Follow instructions below.

Only one thing to do: empty the tank, get a new glass same size as the present bottom glass and some silicone.
    After it's emptied, turn it bottom up, remove the bottom glass and all remains of old silicone. Dry it well and de-grease it thoroughly - not even a fingerprint! Put a bead of silicone all around the bottom edge of the sideglasses and set the new bottom glass on top of the silicone. Press lightly.
    See this video for the way to apply the silicone bead. Attention: these guys are much too fast - should never move glass until it is dried (two days...)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxm92tFj57c
    Let it dry for two days, then turn it around again and line the bottom with silicone all around the inside of the bottom - pull it with the fingertip so that the silicone makes a quarter-of-a-circle concave rounding along the bottom edge.
    Let it dry for another two days.
    Fill with tap water to test for leaks.
    Empty, wash and fill with water for fish use.

Try to watch this video, it's a good explanation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSKIT2OLOYQ
    HOW TO: Build A Glass Aquarium

Sorry, but no easy workarounds for this kind of problem...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  6. skjl47Valued MemberMember

Hello; I agree with this. First do some checking to be sure the water is from a leak in the tank itself. I have had several leaks from other things over time. Filters can leak or at times the discharge has otten onto the tank cover and leaked . Bubblers can create a spray that forms drops that make thrir way out of a tank. I often spill a bit of water when doing a setup and note the water later.
    If it turns out the tank is indeed leaking there are ways to seal such leaks.

7. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

Thanks guys, I'm going to leave it up and really hope it's not leaking. it's a used tank I bought from someone so unfortunately can't take it back but I'll try to fix it if it is

8. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Just dry it thoroughly. Mt old filter dribbled a little bit of water and I thought it was the tank. But leaks will only get worse as time goes on if left unattended, until your floor is flooded one morning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice