Possible Ich On Glass Catfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Leafy, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Leafy

LeafyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hi all,

100% newbie here; first post!

Over the last few months I've set up my first 37g freshwater tank. It's a betta sorority tank, and the second to the last addition were my glass catfish. Last week I added some live plants.

The tank itself may be slightly overstocked, but not by much.

4 female bettas
    5 glass catfish
    6 glow light tetras
    1 bushynose pleco
    2 nerite snails

Everyone is peaceful, and nobody seems stressed. There are lots of caves for everyone to choose a "territory" and I've put fake lily pads at the top to provide shade for the tetras and the catfish.

Yesterday, I found one catfish with two dots on it. I've had tanks before, I've had to deal with ich in the past, and I've successfully treated for it. The problem is I've never had ich in a tank with invertebrates and scaleless fish. None of the fish seem to be scratching (knock on wood).

Since yesterday I've raised my water temp from 78 to 84 degrees, 1 degree every few hours. I'm a little scared to raise the temp all the way to 86. The most sensitive fish I have are the glass catfish. I know everyone else can handle it.

I've been testing my water daily since I put the plants in. Everything looks good, except the water is harder than the catfish like.

3 questions:
    1. Does the picture look like ich? (Sorry I couldn't get a better picture.) I've only seen the 2 dots in the last 24 hours.
    2. How do I treat it if it's ich? I'm worried about the catfish and the snails.
    3. Could it be anything else?

Sorry about the long post. Thank you so much in advance for any responses.

Attached Files:

2. Charlaboo

CharlabooValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    I can’t honestly see the pic very well but the usual cause of ich is stress.. you say this is a new set up has it been cycled? What are your ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels? If you haven’t cycled your tank and are not sure about these levels you need to get some tank buster - beneficial bacteria you can buy at the pet store to get your levels under control and then you can buy ich treatment but it all starts with your water quality

3. OP
    OP
    Leafy

LeafyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    2 years
    The tank was cycled for a month, then I added fish over the course of two months. The entire setup is about 3 months old, a little more. All levels are normal. I'm almost thinking the ich came in on the plants. pH is exactly at 7.0. I'm not home, I can't remember my exact levels but I have them written down. I want to say ammonia is around 0.1, nitrate is 0, nitrite is around 15.

I've attached the same picture, just not super zoomed in. The two dots are near the fish's spine by the head.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    Leafy

LeafyNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    2 years
    Welp. It's ich. I just got home and another catfish has a dot on him. Dang it.

Suggestions for treating with inverts and glass catfish? :(

Become a Fishlore Member