Question Possible Hole In The Head Ram

OurFirstTimeFishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
30 gallon, 80 temp, everything is 0 nitrates are 5, planted tank with 3 guppies, 1 angelfish roughly 2 inches and sailfin pleco inside the tank. Water changes twice weekly with 50% ... I just noticed this morning my electric ram doesn't look good at all, looks kinda like its pineconing but it's hard to tell, anyone know what this is and how to treat it? I don't have a Q tank to put him in so would euthanize be the best route?
20190414_122036.jpg
20190414_122030.jpg

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Never seen a Ram with HITH, and this isn’t it either. This looks like a wound from another fish or hitting it on something.

OP
OurFirstTimeFishy

OurFirstTimeFishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AquaticJ said:
Never seen a Ram with HITH, and this isn’t it either. This looks like a wound from another fish or hitting it on something.
It could be the angelfish that's in the tank, normally my ram is chasing him around, anything youd recommended to treat it

Michael.j.gomez

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, I would keep an eye on the pleco. When I started my goldfish & dojo loach tank I put a full grown male bristlenose pleco. My goldies started missing scales & the dojo had a injury similar to your ram.
My pleco was ambushing his tank mates at night when sleeping. Some get very aggressive, territorial & can inflict damage w/tooth like appendage they have in mouth.
I removed pleco & started 25% water changes every 2 days(clean water does wonders for injuries)& dosed melifix as antiseptic. Healed in about 2wks. Hope this helps!

OP
OurFirstTimeFishy

OurFirstTimeFishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Michael.j.gomez said:
Hello, I would keep an eye on the pleco. When I started my goldfish & dojo loach tank I put a full grown male bristlenose pleco. My goldies started missing scales & the dojo had a injury similar to your ram.
My pleco was ambushing his tank mates at night when sleeping. Some get very aggressive, territorial & can inflict damage w/tooth like appendage they have in mouth.
I removed pleco & started 25% water changes every 2 days(clean water does wonders for injuries)& dosed melifix as antiseptic. Healed in about 2wks. Hope this helps!
That seems to make some sense, my pleco is roughly 6 or 7 inches and figured he'd get the whole fish inside his mouth, I'll keep a closer eye on my ram and if he gets worse I'll try moving the pleco into a bigger tank and go from there, thanks for the tips

OP
OurFirstTimeFishy

OurFirstTimeFishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update- turns out it was my angelfish nipping at my ram, he got abit bad but with water changes I got him back to almost full health

New Threads