Possible Hith In Oscar?

1. BettasnMore

BettasnMore Valued Member Member

Worried what is causing pitting lesions on my Oscar. I know for a fact my pH is high (8.2) and I have been doing sporadic water changes (sometimes waiting up to 2 weeks) over the past month. Just curious if it could be a parasite or is most likely water quality. Don't have exact readings currently but he is in a 75 gallon by himself. He started in a 55 and was moved up, overcame a short term bacterial bloom in the new tank but then the lesions (such as shown in the photo) have appeared on his head. I'd like to catch this before it affects him. :(

20171216_222025.jpg

2. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

you need to do weekly water changes at least for Oscars and big cichlids in general. They're all very messy. 2 weeks is far too long to wait. When this guy gets bigger, 2 weeks is definitely bad. Looks like HITH to me. Try to get your water quality up. What is your filtration? Oscars also need large amounts of filtration.

3. Ulu

Ulu Well Known Member Member

Parasites don't like clean water. Oscars do.

I would do a 1/3 water change every two days until he starts to clear up. Even more if you think the tests warrant it.

Then cut back to 25% per week minimum.

Felix lives in a 55 with 10g sump.
    He gets 1/3 to 1/2 changed twice a week. Growing nicely.
    20180620_065611.jpg

In a larger tank I would have to change less often.

This tank is really too small, and only works because I change so much water and have a huge bio-filter.

If I cut back on his water changes he starts to get infected.

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like HITH...HITH is due to poor water conditions and poor diet. Since you admitted that your only doing water changes every two weeks might be the reason why he's in this condition.

As mentioned frequent water changes help. I actually would do a 50% water change to be safe. If the HITH starts to heal itself then you might not need to treat him. But if you do want to treat API General Cure will help.

5. Ulu

Normally I might recommend an even larger water change... up to 90% if you can keep the ph and temperature okay.... but I don't really know the condition of your fish. If he is in a much weakened condition, too much of a change in water all at once could hurt him, even if the quality improves.

But I have done a 90% change on my oscar tank from time to time and it's no problem for a healthy fish if the ph and temperature don't change.

6. edevingo

edevingo Valued Member Member

I actually just spent 2 hrs reading about HEX/Hole in the head. My eyes are bleeding. lol One thing that Doctors, Scientists said was, once a fish is infected it will never completely rid itself without the use of medication and that Metro seems to still be the first choice that vets suggest and prescribe. Apparently more fish live with it than we will ever probably know. It can also take some fish years to show signs that we can see, especially if they are well taken care of, as in diet, housbandry ect..
    Just thought I'd share, found it interesting.

7. Ulu

I gave mine a prophylactic treatment of Prazipro, and one of Paraguard for such reasons.
    So far no issues . . .

8. Dawn Michele

Dawn Michele Well Known Member Member

IM sorry to hear about your Oscar. I hope he gets better. I keep my 15 inch Oscar Big Boy in a 125 & do 50% water changes EVERY week. I also have 2 Marineland Penguin 350 filters on the tank. I don't overfeed. These guys get so big & are so messy.

Big Boy

9. C

CrimsonTheRescue New Member Member

My Rescue Oscar had a very severe version of the hith disease when I got him and the thing that helped the most was doing water changes, you should regularly do a weekly water change, every three days would be even better. By the look of your fish it doesn't look severe or life threatening which is good because that means its just starting, you should attack it immediately and do more water changes and it should improve. If it does get worse you may need to use medication and you may see scaring on the fish in the future.

10. Ulu

My Oscar had scarring on his face from smashing into the lid of the tank. It's amazing how fast it healed and how well the scars went away.

11. OP
    OP
    BettasnMore

Yes I have a marineland penguin and a tetra 40i on my 75. I feel bad for my poor guy but he's his same enthusiastic self. He gets 1 cube of community or cichlid formula per day. I do admit it's my own fault for falling back on the water changes and maybe need to consider setting up a sump.

12. OP
    OP
    BettasnMore

How does one set up a sump? I have a spare 10 gallon but am totally stumped as to what you need or how to start one.

13. Ulu

This is the subject of many involved YouTube videos and Forum discussions. You will see several examples here if you look under freshwater + filtration.

I posted some schematic drawings here and you can search under my name but it was months ago.