Possible Fungus Infection On My Swordtails

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by SyedS, Nov 2, 2017.

1. SyedS

SyedSNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have a 10g freshwater tank setup with 2 swordtails, 2 lyre tail mollies and 1 dwarf gourami.
    The tank has been going for a few months and is pretty stable. All parameters look good.
    However the 2 swordtails (male and female) both seem very lethargic for the past few weeks. They mostly stay hidden in a small ship at the bottom of the tank. They started eating less and less and now barely even eat anything. Both have this silver patch around their mouths (possible fungal infection) and getting thinner by the day!!
    How can i treat them? Any suggestions??

2. CHIMERA

CHIMERAWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +239
    Experience:
    5 years
    Picture please.
    Pimafix is good for fungal infections, but never do a full dose for medications.

3. OP
    OP
    SyedS

SyedSNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    Can’t upload pics here due to size restrictions. Took a screenshot of the actual pic and uploaded here. Hopefully you csn see whats going on..
    What do you mean when you say not to use a full dose?
    Any other precautions i should take?

Attached Files:

4. CHIMERA

CHIMERAWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +239
    Experience:
    5 years
    Full doses of medications should only be used for emergency. What I mean by full dose is what the bottle states. Use only half of what the instructions tell you. This way you can prevent a tank crash or thoroughly stressing the tankmates of the sick fish. However, I do think that it would be better if he was quarantined away to target-treat him.

5. OP
    OP
    SyedS

SyedSNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    I put some API general cure and the male swordfish died within hours. I think he was already very weak and couldn’t take the stress of the medicine.
    I immediateky changed 50% of the water to dilute the med and save the stress to my other fishes.
    Now my female swordtail is left alone with 2 male mollies and 1 dwarf goirami :(

6. OnTheFly

OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,694
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Important that you dose the correct Meds and I know that is hard. API general cure is a decent internal parasite Med. You stressed your fish with a Med that had no hope of curing a fungus IMO. Sorry to go all negative on you but when this plays out let the tank rest and stock it with something lower bio-load. Swords and mollies in a 10G isnot a good long-term plan. I now that because I tried it several times as a young aquarist. For now head to the LFS or even Wal-Mart perhaps, and buy a Med actually designed to treat fungal infections.

7. Racing1113

Racing1113Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +754
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'm going to give different advice here and say you should always do the full dose for the recommended time. It's like you taking an antibiotic but you use less than the prescription directs you to or you take it for 2 days instead of for a week. You might not get better, or you could build an immunity to that antibiotic and now you have a superbug that is resistant to that particular antibiotic. Same applies for fish and meds.

8. OnTheFly

OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,694
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I agree. If you have delicate species it is OK IMO to half dose for a day and observe acclimation, but you need to get to a full dose soon and continue the recommended course of treatment. QT tanks are important if you keep fish that are intolerant of most Meds. Its no good when the presence of a couple fish, inverts or plants prevents you from treating the sick fish properly. Most Med dose instructions are very conservative in the first place.