Possible Fungus And Nitrite Poisoning. Why?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by spmoore, Apr 22, 2018.

1. spmooreNew MemberMember

Hi everyone, hopefully I can get some help quickly and some knowledge! I recently replaced my “beginner” TopFin filter that came with my 37 gallon with a Fluval 50. I made the mistake of just replacing everything at once and I believe it threw my tank into a mini cycle?? I’ve been getting high nitrite reading on my test strips (I know how everyone feels about those). Two of my
    marigold platys are just below the surface but have been eating. When I first found the high nitrites I did about a 45/50% water change (two days ago) and I plan on doing them daily until everyone looks healthy again. I have a red fire gourami who has white cotton patches on his head I believe could be fungus. Could this be from the cycle stress? Any advice on how to treat is welcome. I wanted to start with the daily water changes and some aquarium salt before hard medications. Thank you for any and all help/ advice! (Picture of gourami to follow)

Attached Files:

2. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Looks a bit bloated as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice