Possible Fish TB?

Leafray
Let's start out by saying, I'm not writing this to rant about the fish store I'm going to talk about, I just want to give a little warning.
So about last month, after hearing about and seeing many wonderful fish from the pretty renown Underwater Dreams in MN, I decided to pay the store a visit. After arriving at the store, I hit the Betta/guppy section. What caught my eye were four HUGE female guppies. The owner of the fish section was not there, but a nice guy at the reptile part was able to call and ask the owner about the guppies. After a loss of 35$ and a two hour drive home, I had gotten four females and two males. One of the males showed major swim bladder issues and two of the females looked horrible, they were scratching, acting Lathargic, not eating, shimmying and had ver crooked spines. When I got home, I moved the fish around my fish racks trying to find a perfect place to put them, some bacteria or virus must've went into the tank then. Long story short, the fish all died within the next half a month. I then purchased a ver high quality trio of atfg AFRs. After putting them into my tank, the females started showing signs of sickness such as clamped find and scratching right away. The male developed a sbd. One of the females died and the other is currently in my treatment. My 75 gallon female growout tank caught the virus/ disease and within a few weeks all died with symptoms of Lathargic, skinny, shimmying, loss of appetite and scratching... My fry tanks and many other tanks are catching it... I don't know how to treat it for the broad spectrum medicines do not work... I have lost hundreds of dollars and months of work because of the six badly purchased fish... Please tell me if this is in fact fish TB, or is it some other disease?
Thanks

Currently breeding: h/b purple guppies

Advertisement
Sarcasm Included
Sounds more parasitic than bacterial, especially mycobacteria.
Shimmies are generally symptoms of stress caused by water quality, like low tds. Scratching is caused by parasites, irritants, and incompatibility of PH. Mycobacteria is an extremely slow growing bacteria, it would be at a month at the earliest you would see symptoms and only if the fish had a compromised immune system.
I would treat your tanks with Paraguard and use best practices to avoid transferring between tanks.

Leafray
So I just did a water perimeter check with ApI masters thing today:
Ph: 7.9
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Temp is at a steady 78 degrees.
My ten gallon rack runs on a central water system, only the larger tanks run on their own. Treated the whole thing with external and internal medication already, ( apI kind? ). I have stopped feeding live bbs for the time being and is feeding Frozen bbs and guppy and color flakes from ken.
I think I will look into the paraguard, the only problem is that I only have petco and petsmart but they don't carry it?

Sounds more parasitic than bacterial, especially mycobacteria.
Shimmies are generally symptoms of stress caused by water quality, like low tds. Scratching is caused by parasites, irritants, and incompatibility of PH. Mycobacteria is an extremely slow growing bacteria, it would be at a month at the earliest you would see symptoms and only if the fish had a compromised immune system.
I would treat your tanks with Paraguard and use best practices to avoid transferring between tanks.

And the fish showed symptoms of fish TB after over a month of me obtaining those fish.

Advertisement
Leafray
Bump

Sarcasm Included
After putting them into my tank, the females started showing signs of sickness such as clamped find and scratching right away.
This is what I was talking about when I said that symptoms would not show up for a month or more.

I use kensfish.com and thatpetplace, depending on how quickly I need something, asthatpetplace is in Pennsylvania. Have any of your fish show any lesions? Is the curvature "S" in shape or more of a boomeranging of the body. Have any suffered from emaciation, despite regular eating?

Advertisement
Leafray
This is what I was talking about when I said that symptoms would not show up for a month or more.

I use kensfish.com and thatpetplace, depending on how quickly I need something, asthatpetplace is in Pennsylvania. Have any of your fish show any lesions? Is the curvature "S" in shape or more of a boomeranging of the body. Have any suffered from emaciation, despite regular eating?

Thinking back.. Two of the most sick females had a S shape in their spine the second day I got them. Two of the others seemed fine for a month or so and died suddenly two weeks ago... One female with its whole back side pink and swollen and a S shape, and one died of what was suspected to be old age.

Sarcasm Included
Yeh, that is more like myco. Since your running a central unit, are you using a UV sterilizer? It won't help much against myco but will keep other bacteria from being a problem. Myco kills more indirectly than directly, much like HIV allows other infections to do the dirty work after it destroys the immune system.

Leafray
Yeh, that is more like myco. Since your running a central unit, are you using a UV sterilizer? It won't help much against myco but will keep other bacteria from being a problem. Myco kills more indirectly than directly, much like HIV allows other infections to do the dirty work after it destroys the immune system.

I'm not running a UV sterilizer, what other ways are there to kill mycro?

Sarcasm Included
UV sterilizers don't kill myco, they will though, kill other bacteria, to prevent secondary infection.
I have had success with kanaplex, neoplex, and tri-sulfa, given over a 3 month course. Kanaplex should be given 10 day breaks between dosage rounds. The tanks should be broken down and sanitized by scrubbing all surfaces with chlorine. In order to kill the bacteria, direct contact with the chlorine must be obtained, so you must scrub away the bio-film. I can not guarantee that this will be successful for your infection, as there are over a hundred different species of myco, but it worked for me.

Leafray
UV sterilizers don't kill myco, they will though, kill other bacteria, to prevent secondary infection.
I have had success with kanaplex, neoplex, and tri-sulfa, given over a 3 month course. Kanaplex should be given 10 day breaks between dosage rounds. The tanks should be broken down and sanitized by scrubbing all surfaces with chlorine. In order to kill the bacteria, direct contact with the chlorine must be obtained, so you must scrub away the bio-film. I can not guarantee that this will be successful for your infection, as there are over a hundred different species of myco, but it worked for me.

Will it be safe to put all the fish in a brand new 50 gallon tank that is done cycling and then break down and scrub the tanks with bleach, then set up and put the fish back? Or will I spread the disease even more this

Sarcasm Included
Where ever you put the fish, you move the bacteria to. If you start the treatment then move the fish out while the disease is dormant, the fish won't be shedding the bacteria. It you do the first round of meds and sanitize during the kanamycin break, I don't think you will contaminate the 50 gallon, but I would break it down and sanitize it anyway. This stuff is a pain and you really have to go that extra mile so you do end up reinfected everything again.

Leafray
Where ever you put the fish, you move the bacteria to. If you start the treatment then move the fish out while the disease is dormant, the fish won't be shedding the bacteria. It you do the first round of meds and sanitize during the kanamycin break, I don't think you will contaminate the 50 gallon, but I would break it down and sanitize it anyway. This stuff is a pain and you really have to go that extra mile so you do end up reinfected everything again.

The pictures of kanamycin look as if you have to swab it onto the fish, do you have to?

Sarcasm Included
It is a small measuring spoon.

Leafray
Oh ok

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Shrimp42
Replies
Views