Possible Fin Rot? Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by succulentboy, Jun 26, 2019.

1. succulentboyNew MemberMember

My betta fish Fredrick has been pretty chill for a few months now and has always had a kind of raggedy tail but now it seems to be getting worse. He was in his own 3 gallon tank and seemed pretty chill, made bubble nests ate well and what not. But now for some reason his fins are getting shorter and I'm not too sure why. About 3 days ago I bought another tank so I could have a black moor and molly with him but I haven't introduced them to each other yet. Any help would be appreciated, thank you :)20190626_001554.jpg20190626_001549.jpg20190626_001539.jpg

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Hello, and welcome to fishlore!

What do you currently have him kept in for the photos? Firstly, don't put him in with a molly, they aren't compatible with each other anyways, and mollies shouldn't be kept single either, they are big fish that need a large tank due to their waste production level. You also run the risk of the two fish having territorial issues or just general incompatibility issues together.

He doesn't look too terrible, but crowntails can have increased chances of having problems with their fins, and it's also harder for the keeper to tell when there is actually an issue because of the rays in the fins. You'll notice that the webbing in between the rays will recede as you notice a bit in these pictures. I would recommend doing frequent water changes to ensure clean water for ultimate healing, there really isn't a need for any medications unless you would like to treat for an infection which there isn't right now. I recommend using indian almond leaves or aquarium salt when treating for fin damages, the tannins in the leaves that cause the water to darken have antibacterial and antifungal properties that will also help to reduce stress.

3. succulentboyNew MemberMember

Currently I just moved him into the small container that he came in with, but I will move him into the old tank to heal for now by himself. Thank you for the advice :)