1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Fin Rot?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by succulentboy, Jun 26, 2019.

1. succulentboyNew MemberMember

I have had my betta fish Fredick for awhile now (a few months) and his fins have always been kinda raggedy but nothing too serious I dont think. Anyways I've noticed recently his fins getting worse it seems and since this is my first betta I'm not sure if this is fin rot or just normal? Any help is appreciated thank you!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  2. Pat93Valued MemberMember

I can’t get any attachments to work so I can’t see a pic but if your Bettas fins are deteriorating that is definently not normal.
    Here is a template of questions to answer that will help everyone on the forum help you out more.
    Without most of this info we can’t really tell you what it is and we definently can’t advise you on exactly what to do.
    People get weird about tank size on here but whatever size it is I only need to know so I can advise your potential medicine dosage and water change schedule,

Generally fin rot occurs when the water isn’t clean enough and the fish sustains some fin damage and then it can’t properly heal so the fins get a bacterial infection and start to seem to be eaten away. Notice I said generally because there are many many causes for fin rot and as I said I can’t get the pics to work so I’m not even sure if that’s what your dealing with.

IF the Betta is still eating that is a good sign, a good alternative to medicine is to try keeping your water extra clean by increasing your waterchanges. Be sure to match temperature and ph or else the increased water changes will stress the fish out and hurt it more than help.

If you have a small tank then I recommend daily changes until the problem clears up.
    Sometimes if I am really worried and don’t know what to do at all but I know I need to medicate I will dose the fish with tetra lifeguard. It covers several potential diseases and I’ve cured several Bettas who I wasn’t sure what was wrong with them with it specifically.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/fish-emergency-template.376562/

3. DixieFishNew MemberMember

I'm having a little problem viewing your images. Hopefully, they will pop up for me later (this has been happening a lot lately andi can never tell if its my lame internet or a server issue!)

I'm not trying to parrot @Pat93 here, I just have very poor internet and it takes me forever to post! Lol. I don't want to re-write it all, soooo...

Is there a change in Fred's behavior? Lethergic, hiding all the time, or not as interested in food? Do you notice any discoloration around the affected area? Fin rot is a fungus so it'll look whitish, and the fins will turn this sickly pale grey with sometimes a dull reddish border, or inflammation around the base of the fins.

What fin type is he? Sometimes their fin edges look a bit extra ragged as they grow out. Or he easily could have torn it on a decoration. Without seeing the pics its hard to tell.

Also, is he in a heated tank? Fin rot seems to take hold quicker in cold water (mostly because bettas prefer warmer water).

Anyway, here's a link to Fishlore's article on fin rot which will really help ease your mind. Note the greyish damaged tail edge in the photo they provide. The Betta is white, making it a bit easier to identify the affected fin:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb08/fish-finrot.htm

Keep us updated on what you find out!

4. succulentboyNew MemberMember

Thank you for your help! For now I'm going to just put him in his own tank and just let him relax and get better hopefully. He doesn't have any spots or anything like that but he may be stressed out so I figure if I leave him be with some extra water changes he should be okay.

5. DixieFishNew MemberMember

You're welcome! Glad to help. That sounds like the best thing to do for him right now. Best wishes! Keep us all updated :)